Considering NOT setting up my new tank... Thoughts?

CuzzA

As some of you know I sold my 90 and upgraded to an 8 foot 310 gallon. I have just about every piece of equipment I need to get it going. Really all that's left is to just skin the stand and make a canopy. It's all dry plumbed and sitting in my garage.

I just can't get motivated to fill it up. I'm looking at it and saying to myself, "If I set you up, I'm basically asking you to marry me and frankly with a 3 year old son I don't know if I want to make the commitment."

I'm also looking at this from a scuba diving and travel perspective. Diving has become a serious passion of mine as I'm attempting to dive nearly once a week. The amount of money I'm going to consistently throw toward this tank will easily pay for all of my diving locally or dive trips around the world. Aside from the cost, there's the issue of traveling and who's going to maintain the tank for 1-2 week long trips. Not to mention, if I'm diving, I'm already getting to see the beauty of our worlds reefs.

I don't know what to do. Anyone been in my shoes? Have any thoughts or suggestions?

Been in your shoes and pulled the trigger and wished I hadn't. I will most likely be ending my reefing days at the end of next years as I too want to have some time not worrying about the "next crash", the power going out, vacation woes, etc, etc, etc (not to mention the expense!). I tend to agree with you about the diving and spending time with the little one!

Would hate to see you "not" do it (selfish on my part), but if your having second thoughts now, ......... Cut your losses :-o

mike

I had the same thought with my 320 - but I have no other hobbies or excuses why I was hesitant. It sat in my garage since Jan 2015. I just got it up on the stand two weeks ago.

I figured - if I do have second thoughts and want to sell it - it'd be easier to sell if it could actually be up and running instead of just sitting around in pieces with no plumbing.

As for travelling - I do have a thought on this: you must likely have a trusted LFS - would you trust them to maintain your tank for those two weeks and be in your house?

As for travelling - I do have a thought on this: you must likely have a trusted LFS - would you trust them to maintain your tank for those two weeks and be in your house?

Yeah, I'd have Mike unwillingly do it. LOL.

After getting back from a 2wk vacation, and being worried about the tank the whole time, i can see where you are coming from, perhaps consider putting the tank in the house where its air conditioned, always worry about silicon and heat of a garage and just let it sit till your ready, unfortunately our tanks are not good investments and it would cost you more down the line to replace the stuff your getting to sell at a loss anyway, ps, my tank actually looked better then when i wasnt messing around w it while on vacation.

Setting up a big system is daunting, because adjusting anything on it down the road is a huge pain in the butt. My stand was failing, so I had to pull down my whole system to rebuild the big tank and it was a solid weekend project with my brother helping.

You all make good points. I don't want to do anything I would regret. It's set up to the point if I'm going to just cut my loses, now's the time. Once I glue up the pipes and fill it with water, there's no turning back. I either finish the reef or don't go any further.

I have/had big plans for this reef, but then I start weighing the realities. Confused, What if, On the fence, **** or get off the pot, are all the things going through my mind on this deal.

Last edited:
Would you be willing to just invest in a weekly maintenance service? Then you wouldn't have to worry about most of the regular tank maintenance, and you'd already have someone you trust to come by when you're out of town.

Would you be willing to just invest in a weekly maintenance service? Then you wouldn't have to worry about most of the regular tank maintenance, and you'd already have someone you trust to come by when you're out of town.

Nah, I couldn't possibly pay someone to do what I could do better. ;) And for a reef of that size it would be really expensive.

It's really about the commitment. I considered the cost to run the tank before I pulled the trigger and I even understood the time and commitment, but that was when I had the 90 so it was no big deal, now I'm essentially tankless and kinda enjoying the freedom.

If you're that hesitant to set it up, then I personally wouldn't...or I'd just go back to a smaller system.

Going through that right now. Tore down my four year old 90 gallon reef up North prior to moving to Florida last year. I loved the tank but there was definitely a sense of relief once it was gone. I had a lot more time and money for other things. I did set up a small 17 gallon once I got down here, it was a minimal investment of both time and money.
Now I have been considering the next big tank, maybe a 125 or 180 as I mentioned in an earlier post. One day I am excited and anxious to get it going, the next day I'm wondering if I'm ready for another long commitment of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a sense of relief once it was gone

That's actually a pretty common story. break a tank down because of "circumstances" then want to get back into the hobby again. Happened to me with my 120. When it was out of the house - it was a relief. Once the resources were more predictable - right back into the hobby.

Cuzza,

I am in about year in on my build and after not having my 210 for a few months life has been great as my career has been crazy and time is not on my side. So much so I wonder if I should complete or cut my losses as Mike stated. This is the only Hobby I have but would love to have the freedom of not worrying about travel. I travel international all the time and its a big stress. Granted I am almost there but if you are unsure at your stage I would cut my loss if I were in your shoes. I love this hobby but like Mike pointed out to me on a recent conversation having free time is nice (As well as the stress)

Well I understand all of those point, but you can automate your tank to the level that u don't have to do much. My systems are very little work at this point. That being said if u r not committed then sell it

Agreed with everyone here. There is a reason why you are having second thoughts and all your concerns are very valid and solid. I would recommend that you stop now and try to sell what you have. Maybe when your kid is older and you grow tired of diving, maybe you can get back in.

Good luck man.

No, you can't quit!!! You have gone this far. You must keep going. You will regret either decision you make anyway. If not now then down the road. Brush aside those negative thoughts and push forward. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah man that's tough it would be a shame to not see you set that thing up I remember your rock work was amazing I really want to see that setup.

But I do understand what you mean I sometimes think about getting out but I feel like I would just immediately want a tank again. I don't go away on Long vacations often but when I do I always worry I'm more so worried daily just about something going wrong and being overly paranoid like I'm going to come home to a blowout or an electrical fire or something.

Go with your gut. How many times have you not and said, damn, I knew better? What ever your decision, follow that and wouldn't hurt to get wifes honest opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the last 20ish years I have been in and out of the hobby more than most. 2 to3 years in and 1 to 3 out. I can't ever say I am done forever because I have actually said that more than once and here I am.
I think what you need is a break. Selling may be a regret in 6 months when you wished you were teaching your boy about marine life through your aquarium.
Just my .02 cents.

Back