Continuous feeding NPS filter feeders

What makes kalk reactor better for other types of food (cyclops, etc)?

because you have a mixing pump that keeps everything suspended in the water... if you ever tried to mix together the FM dendro line products you'll see a definite separation if you just let it sit for a while.

uhuru:
Just tagging along. Thanks for the great information. Do you have any other links/articles on NPS corals/tanks? I've been out of reefkeeping for a couple of years (college was a disaster for this hobby), but I'm planning a comeback after I complete an internship in March. I wanted to do something unique (essentially avoid sps). Your nano-tank is an inspiration!

I am planning for this next food batch to use only:

FM Ultra Clam
FM Ultra Seafan
FM Ultra Min F
FM Ultra Life
FM Ultra Min D
FM Ultra Pac
Prodibio Reefbooster

I want to see if I can go longer before having to clean out the reactor. Right now I can only go about 1 wk before it starts to smell really bad. It only takes about 5 min. to clean but I'm more concerned with dosing too much rotten food into the tank.

The reactor after 1 wk:
DSC02837.jpg

After dosing some of the new food mix, I noticed some of my gorgs were capturing the bubbles in the water and ingesting them. They suck in each tentacle one at a time like a sea apple. I am wondering if the bubble is coated with the food, especially the Ultra Min D or Ultra Pac. Now sometimes they catch stuff in the water they don't want, and they just release it. They don't ingest it. Why do they ingest the bubbles, if they are even bubbles? Look close in some of the polyps and you will see. You will also see some "licking" each tentacle.

_MG_0059.jpg

HI

You can try to add some ascorbin acid in your mix
then the reaction of the food in the reactor will go slower

1 week is ok if you see on the temperature of the mix

rgds claude

HI

The bubbles are small food particles with the right
"surface" so they will eat it.
That what you see is that the polyps get a full ammount of concentrated food
good for your coral

rgds claude

Roti-Feast and Shellfish Diet are pretty thick solutions, Shelfish Diet in particular. The options for continuous dosing are syringe pump, a drip bucket of some sort, or a peristaltic dosing pump. A drip bucket would give you very little control of the dosing rate. The problem with a peristaltic dosing pump is that the tubing will start to clog with these rather thick solutions. With a peristaltic dosing pump, you would have to frequently run water through the tubing to keep it from gunking up. A syringe pump is a very simple device, doesn't have the potential for clogging that a peristaltic pump has, and can pump very thick and highly viscous solutions with relative ease at a precise dosing rate.

Roti-Feast and Shellfish Diet are pretty thick solutions, Shelfish Diet in particular. The options for continuous dosing are syringe pump, a drip bucket of some sort, or a peristaltic dosing pump. A drip bucket would give you very little control of the dosing rate. The problem with a peristaltic dosing pump is that the tubing will start to clog with these rather thick solutions. With a peristaltic dosing pump, you would have to frequently run water through the tubing to keep it from gunking up. A syringe pump is a very simple device, doesn't have the potential for clogging that a peristaltic pump has, and can pump very thick and highly viscous solutions with relative ease at a precise dosing rate.

Is this your experience or what you've been told?

The only clogging I have experienced is the tip of the output tubing. We run our IA 9SD and others) product through a peri. pump and it never really clogs. RF will clog at the tip where if it comes in contact with air. Easy solution to that is to submerge it :)

This is actually my experience. Perhaps, you're using a better peristaltic pump than I did though. It was definitely more of an issue with Shellfish diet.

So you don't need to clean the peristaltic tubing frequently?

In any case, I've found syringe pumps to be easier to deal with and control in terms of precise dosing amounts, especially when dealing with smaller dosing amounts. If you're dosing a good amount of RF or SD, then perhaps a good peristaltic pump would be better.

I have a Phosban reactor lieing around and was wondering could I use it instead of a kalf reactor ?

I have a Phosban reactor lieing around and was wondering could I use it instead of a kalf reactor ?
A phos reactor only has one pump that keeps it mixed and acts as the flow through. A kalk reactor has either two pumps, or one pump and a mixer. Both are independent of each other so you can keep mixing while not feeding.

This is actually my experience. Perhaps, you're using a better peristaltic pump than I did though. It was definitely more of an issue with Shellfish diet.

So you don't need to clean the peristaltic tubing frequently?

In any case, I've found syringe pumps to be easier to deal with and control in terms of precise dosing amounts, especially when dealing with smaller dosing amounts. If you're dosing a good amount of RF or SD, then perhaps a good peristaltic pump would be better.

The tubing dia. is crucial in this respect. I suspect your using a large dia, like maybe 1/8? or 1/4"? We use really fine stuff.

We rarely need to clean them but then again I bet we feed a LOT more then you do. We're growing massive amounts of rotifers.

I need to double check my memory with one of our scientists on the alginate question. I seem to remember the amount of it in a 6oz bottle is less then could fit on a pinhead. It doesn't take much to achieve what we need.

Back