Continuous feeding NPS filter feeders

Closer up shot:
_MG_0258.jpg

I have been playing around with an Ogles Mesoscope, and it is the coolest "toy" ever. Anyone keeping NPS filter feeders really should pick up one of these. I get to see my Dendronephthya actually feeding and ingesting (without question).

wow. that's really an incredible tank. I love the shadows created by the spotliglighting - leds I assume?

You just blew my mind with that tank!!! :D

I am loving all the gadgets you guys have made to continuously feed. I might have to try this!

Thanks everyone!

acro76 - I'm looking forward to getting the archohelia frag. Good thing you guys are offering frags. Even if I could afford a colony, it wouldn't fit in my tank!

Flanders - It's a single LED 21w lamp with wide optics so it covers the tank well. It's mounted on the wall behind the tank, from a good distance and thus the dramatic shadows in the front.

Very nice Uhuru! I have always been envious of your collection.

On the subject of continuous feeders, here's something I recently put together:

DSCF0912.jpg

It is also a reactor to keep the food in continuous suspension. I decided to go with a magnetic stirrer instead of a pump in the hopes that it will not need as much cleaning. I added an Iceprobe chiller in order to keep the food cold in the reactor. It keeps the food in the high 30's. I haven't set it going yet as I'm waiting on one part, the o-ring gasket to keep it well sealed.

Dang how did I miss this one?? Great little reactor :)

What Dia tubing did you use? Did you get the o-ring? I have a ton of different large sizes if you didn't (PM me your addy if you haven't and tell me the size you need).

Just a FYI for those interested.... I use www.allorings.com for all my oring needs :D

Thanks! Things have been going very well with this feeding regimen (although I have ramped up the feeding even more) and I'm working on a 65g tank that will feature mostly NPS softies. Also plan to automate more stuff like daily water changes and a new automatic feeding device that I plan to have dose larger amounts of food every couple of hours.

sneak peak of my new 65g:

_MG_0222.jpg

and the fish that will be the centerpiece:
_MG_0331.jpg

close up of one of my gorgs (white balance not corrected):
_MG_0292.jpg

Very nice. Continued success!!! I built a crude by the above sysytems feeder. So far it works well though. My Chilli coral has closed for four hours in 48 hours since I started using it. Anyone know what they do in nature?

Here is my new feeder to feed my non-photosynthetic corals:

Little fridge:

feeder001.jpg

Fridge witha 24 hour feeding supply:

feeder002.jpg

Pump to pump up to the tank:

feeder004.jpg

Lastly the pipe inlet to the tank. It feeds right into a Koralia 6. Note the air pump turns on when the pump runs to mix things up. I also did not want pressure to build up in the refrigerator or a vacuum to build up because of the pump so that is why it runs only when it is pumping.

feeder005.jpg
[/

If you don't mind my asking.. what is the cost of this fridge ? This ones looks perfect for even feeding my large tank.

sanjay.

Very nice. Continued success!!! I built a crude by the above systems feeder. So far it works well though. My Chilli coral has closed for four hours in 48 hours since I started using it. Anyone know what they do in nature?

Here is my new feeder to feed my non-photosynthetic corals:

Little fridge:

feeder001.jpg

Fridge witha 24 hour feeding supply:

feeder002.jpg

Pump to pump up to the tank:

feeder004.jpg

Lastly the pipe inlet to the tank. It feeds right into a Koralia 6. Note the air pump turns on when the pump runs to mix things up. I also did not want pressure to build up in the refrigerator or a vacuum to build up because of the pump so that is why it runs only when it is pumping.

feeder005.jpg
[/

slapshot that's a nice contraption - are you feeding a mix of fauna marin foods in that? how is the dosing pump tubing holding up? I have the same doser and some flasks I was thinking of using to experiment with different fauna marin mixtures.

slapshot that's a nice contraption - are you feeding a mix of fauna marin foods in that? how is the dosing pump tubing holding up? I have the same doser and some flasks I was thinking of using to experiment with different fauna marin mixtures.

Yep with some DT's and Reef nutrition procucts tossed in. No problems. I have been using them for several years for my calc. and alk.

I may try setting something up today. What I want to do is have a "surge" of food come in every 1-2 hrs in addition to maintaining the continuous dosing.

Hey guys there is a little write up on my tank here in case anyone is interested! I discuss my equipment, maintenance and feeding routine and there are some pictures as well.

Back