Continuous feeding NPS filter feeders

I was wrong about the amount. that's why we have scientists here.. and I'm not one of them :) I can't post the amount though, it's a trade secret, sorry :(

Why do you want to know at any rate? Just curious or do you think it will effect something (negative or positive)?

Ok, different question for Gresham. I know we shouldn't mix Reef Nutrition products together or dilute them as that will affect their shelf-life. However, is there a problem with mixing dry food into Rotifeast? Would that have some kind of negative effect?

I've been thinking of doing the same with the alginate ninja. Please share what you come up with (if it works out).

I tried it with the Fauna Marin food. I tried it both in saltwater and RO water. The amount of alginate needed to keep the food suspended seems like more than I would want to add. I have another idea for using something else. I'll update if it works.

The Fauna Marin food will stay suspended in Rotifeast, so they must do something special...

Ok, different question for Gresham. I know we shouldn't mix Reef Nutrition products together or dilute them as that will affect their shelf-life. However, is there a problem with mixing dry food into Rotifeast? Would that have some kind of negative effect?

Sure would. The mix is designed for a certain "bio-load" and by increasing it you defeat the longevity of the mix.

My continuous feeding filter gets awfully smelly by the end of a week, and needs a scrub down. I am wondering if a bottle with a air line for suspension and peristaltic pump for dosing would not be less maintenance and stench? Any thoughts, tips? My guess is this is one of the reasons you switched to syringe dosing pumps.

I don't know if you are addressing that to me, but I didn't switch to syringe pumps. I use both syringe pumps and kalk reactor. I will explain my current routine in a bit. I have been having very good results and the reactor doesn't get nearly as stinky as when I first tried it.

You could use a peri pump but you will have to clean out the tubing regularly. Once bacterial growth starts to occur in the tubing it will capture the particles in the food and form a vegetation, thereby impeding flow. This happens with the kalk reactor too but its 1/2" clear tubing and its easier to clean out and cheaper/easier to replace.

Current pic of my tank:

_MG_0246.jpg

Roti-Feast - .75 ml/hr
Shellfish Diet - .35 ml/hr
FM Dendronephthya system - 5 ml injected into kalk reactor daily, kalk reactor 1/2 emptied every 24 hrs. and run with just system water for 12 hrs. Cleaned completely once a week.

Very nice Uhuru! I have always been envious of your collection.

On the subject of continuous feeders, here's something I recently put together:

DSCF0912.jpg

It is also a reactor to keep the food in continuous suspension. I decided to go with a magnetic stirrer instead of a pump in the hopes that it will not need as much cleaning. I added an Iceprobe chiller in order to keep the food cold in the reactor. It keeps the food in the high 30's. I haven't set it going yet as I'm waiting on one part, the o-ring gasket to keep it well sealed.

Thanks guys. Ninja - someone had brought up that very concept to me but they had the idea of putting the iceprobe on a kalk reactor. It looks like yours is similar to a very short kalk stirrer, correct? Due to the small size I think the stirrer would work fine. I'm looking forward to see how that works out for you! I'm hoping to get a custom food reactor built in the near future.

Hi,

I am new to the NPS concept. Is a continuous feeding system necessary to keep these types of species alive? Could they thrive on two or three feedings a day? Just curious.

Thanks.

It would really depend upon the NPS coral. For some of them, it is definitely a must. For things like Tubastrea and Dendrophyllia, you don't really need a continuous feeder. However, all NPS corals will benefit from a continuous feeding setup.

Closer up shot:
_MG_0258.jpg

I have been playing around with an Ogles Mesoscope, and it is the coolest "toy" ever. Anyone keeping NPS filter feeders really should pick up one of these. I get to see my Dendronephthya actually feeding and ingesting (without question).

Back