Cooling tank

OceanJack

Morning everyone,

So with the first actual warm weather in Rochester NY. My 60 Gallon tank has shown a slight increase in temps. Usually it has been about 60F but yesterday we touched 85 and it only went down to 77 at night. I do not have AC in my ranch, the tank is in a room with open windows so it doesn't get too hot in there.

However the temps has been hovering around 80.5 up from the usual 78.8. Right now I have a 20 gallon sump set up in a cabinet, running a protein skimmer and return along with two heaters. It did get rather hot in the cabinet and started to build moisture so i installed a cabinet fan and it's been rather dry in there.

So my question is, how should I go about cooling down the tank? I don't have room for a chiller currently and I have read about installing a fan on the DT to blow air across the tank.

Would it also cool my tank down if I just installed a fan on the sump?

80.5 is really not a problem..
I would not worry/react until temps get over 83 on a consistent basis..

But yes a fan blowing at the water (sump or DT or whatever..) can potentially reduce the temperature some..
That is a good/simple start.

But yes a fan blowing at the water (sump or DT or whatever..) can potentially reduce the temperature some..
That is a good/simple start.

Yes. This can make a few degrees difference.

Keep in mind this approach works partially by increasing evaporation...So make plans to top off more, or have an auto-top-off.

Thanks everyone!

With my old 30L, I had it in a room that was air conditioned so never really had this problem. I am going to try the fan blowing across the sump first, I may add another cabinet fan on the opposite side to increase air intake as well.

Coming over from Nano-Reefs has shown me that most forums for this hobby is full of great people with helpful knowledge so thanks again!

Yes. This can make a few degrees difference.

Keep in mind this approach works partially by increasing evaporation...So make plans to top off more, or have an auto-top-off.

Using a Dog Food container right now for the ATO, I have noticed an increase of use. Currently I can fill it with about 8 gallons of ATO and it'll last me a little over 7 days.

Probably did this but jik:
Keep the cabinet doors open.
Remove or vent any hood; raise the lighting.
Replace or re-plumb any submerged pumps to external.

I'm in a similar situation...my tank went up to 82 and I freaked out. Come to find out my heater malfunctioned and it was staying on past where it was set. Luckily my wife came home early and looked at the tank and said the heater was still on even though it was 82. She unplugged it and will be putting my spare heater in tomorrow. I have also ordered a heater controller that I just found out about. I have read that you can be good up to 84 degrees. Has anyone seen any I'll affects of the water that warm? I'm new to saltwater my 20g tank has been up for 2 months. I've always had cichlids and I've never worried much about the temp with them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back