coral banded shrimp molted?

greg97527

I'm hoping he just molted but when I came home today there was an exact replica of my coral banded laying in the tank. when they molt do they molt out the top of the head? when they molt do they have full length antenni?

yes and yes...I think every reefkeeper has gone through the panic of the first molting of a favorite shrimp and looking at that outgrown exoskeleton that looks seriously dead...

its funny you should ask, my wife called me 2 days ago and said theres something weird living in a hole on the rock with anttanas, so my first guess was a mantis, but i was at work and she wouldnt stick her hand in there for a 100$, so when i came home i checked it out and saw my cleaner just molted, i was relieved to say the least but i was hopeing for something cool,

when the shed its like a flimsy shell of the old shrimp, if it was more solid your shrimp may have passed, have you seen him out yet?

My CBS has molted twice in as many months, I KNOW they do this, and it still freaks me out!! Looks just like the guy you left alone with the flashlight last night, is laying at the bottom, what an amazingly perfect replica!!

It may be a day or two before you see him, they are very vulnerable, and will hide til their new skeleton hardens....

well i havent seen him out yet and its been a day but i will give it a bit more time and post back...hopefully with good news.

ok it's been several days and nothing. my astrea snail seems to be dead and none of my other peppermint shrimp or the coral banded have been seen in days. i noticed a small brine shrimp looking creature on my astrea's shell, i will post a pic but the digi cam i have is not very good. i am just getting way to frustrated with this saltwater thing. i do not want to give up but it seems im just wiping my a** with my money. here is the pic but i dont think it is clear enough.

ok it's been several days and nothing. my astrea snail seems to be dead and none of my other peppermint shrimp or the coral banded have been seen in days. i noticed a small brine shrimp looking creature on my astrea's shell, i will post a pic but the digi cam i have is not very good. i am just getting way to frustrated with this saltwater thing. i do not want to give up but it seems im just wiping my a** with my money. here is the pic but i dont think it is clear enough.
anyway its the small little grey thing on the astrea

100_1283.JPG

Is your snail still suctioned to the tank wall? If he's still "stuck" there, he's probably just hanging out. My snails all go through stages of eating like crazy then sitting and doing nothing. If you want to up your chances of seeing your shrimps, try watching and feeding meaty foods at night. That usually brings them out. :)

I would say if it were dead or on it's way to dead, your emerald and sally lightfoot would be all over it and you'd just find an empty shell in the morning.

If you don't see them, It might not be a bad idea to check your nitrates/nitrites/ammonia, just in case.

Cheers

no the snail is not suctioned to the wall anymore, i do not have a sally light foot because it killed my first brown bar goby so i got rid of it and bought another goby which is still alive lol.

Back