Coral Collecting- Florida

For anyone interested in collecting in Florida. I suggest you read the article below:

http://www.keysnet.com/2014/04/05/495927/prosecutions-for-illegal-marine.html?sp=/99/106/

Get a license, know your limits, know your critters and collect properly (ie don't kill what you collect)

Wow good stuff! Thanks for posting that. Everyone wanting to collect in FL, please follow all the laws. They are very strict and the FWC does not play around. The consequences are very harsh.
You will not only save yourself but many critters in the ocean. They have laws on them for a reason. I get emails from the FWC constantly updating the laws so keep yourself updated. Once the restrictions have done its part in preserving fish or corals they put less restrictions, but with time of course.

It's sad to see what people do for money. The keys coral and fish population is not the same as it used to be when I was a kid snorkeling, back in the late 90's.
Right now I'm currently doing extensive research before I collect ANY type of marine aquarium fish and corals. First of all, by knowing the laws then identifying each and every fish and coral, correctly. Note, I've lived here (keys) all my life and I'm constantly in the ocean, and sometimes I still have trouble identifying, especially the little ones.

I'd go North or South of Miami, not right there. Ft Lauderdale has some ok reefs. The ocen side of the Keys usually have smoother conditions and more visibility (at least when I've been out)

Is miami a good diving area?

Yea it's a pretty good area but need to know your spots. And the Miami area tends to be deeper. So hopefully you are SCUBA certified. If not, get your lungs ready for 30-50ft free dives.
Might as well come down to key largo, it's only 1 hour away. And there are some great reefs.

Other then Biscayne Bay National park is there any diving spots there?

I have lived int Fort Lauderdale my whole life and also been in the keys as well. There is more abundant life in the keys and much denser but you have to go 3 to 5 miles out and most of it is protected and you can't even catch and keep anything. Where as in ft.lauderdale the reef is 100 yards off shore 15 feet deep and still have a large amount of life there. Depends on where you go to.

12 street north to Atlantic boulevard is mostly scattered reef (I don't like to dive here as much and I have no experience north of Atlantic). A little south of 12 st and a ways down there is built up reef but not much a shelf about 2 to 3 feet. Commercial boulevard has the best diving for about a half mile north and south. The reef is built up and has a average shelf height of about 5 to 6 feet, in some spots more because of coral heads. I heard (I don't have any experience) that the reef from about a mile south of Oakland to about sunrise is not as built up and is a lot farther than in many other local spots.

keep in mind I am talking about the first reef in all these cases. I do a lot of beach dives so I don't have much experience in the deeper parts of the reef.

Yea there is. A lot more wrecks than reefs though... Here's a good link with different spots. http://www.southbeachdivers.com/wrecks_listing.asp?L=Miami&O=Name

Like I previously stated, almost everything is 30ft and deeper. I heard about this pretty good reef though, 30ft called "Car frame reef" (listed on the website link), it's by Fowey Rocks. Which is in between, key Biscayne and Biscayne national park. I usually don't dive in Miami so I'm unfamiliar with the laws of coral and fish collecting in that particular region, but from looking at the maps it seems like its fine for collecting in that area because of how far out it seems to be and normally Miami is less restricted.

You are correct Frizzo, most of the keys is protected. And once it comes to collecting fish and corals you must abide to the similar rules enforced for spearfishing (I've asked many different professionals and that's what they've told me) . 3 Miles out from nearest land (usually a mangrove island) and out of any park, which is Southwest of the border line of Molasses Reef. But the further south you go the more you'll see that it's unprotected (marathon and further down), due to less reefs, but still can find some nice stuff... Good info on Ft. Lauderdale, I love those reefs that are right there off the beach. Pretty cool, maybe ill head over there one day.

Thanks G Sanab for the info in Miami, one day I will dive there. I have also heard of great spots in the Palm Beach and Fort Pierce but don't have much personal experience. Most of these spots are in the Indian river so it's actually inshore but the pictures I have seen the reefs are built up and very abundant but only in some spots.

well so far, i have found quite a few royal starfish. all dead/dying from taking a beating in the surf i assume. i have found none of the colorful shore clams i expected :( i have found 1 striped hermit (100% not reef safe). and some turtle grass shoots. other than that, i have found squat. very disappointing to say the least

What about the Tampa area/Gulf Coast? is the gulf coast also a good place for scuba?

Coral Collecting- Florida

well so far, i have found quite a few royal starfish. all dead/dying from taking a beating in the surf i assume. i have found none of the colorful shore clams i expected :( i have found 1 striped hermit (100% not reef safe). and some turtle grass shoots. other than that, i have found squat. very disappointing to say the least

Where are you collecting at? And beach shores aren't really good places to collect most of the time.

What about the Tampa area/Gulf Coast? is the gulf coast also a good place for scuba?

I'm not from that area but it should be decent. I have friends in that area that free/scuba dive. The good thing is that it's shallow for MANY (10) miles on the gulf coast. There's probably some decent wrecks here and there..
The bad part is that the water tends to be murky, even on a calm day (compared to Atlantic). So imagine on windy days, it's not even worth it.

i was on pensacola gulf side and explored the bay a bit. i didnt find anything of interest other than royal stars that were a few hours short of death (seemed to have been washed up by the storm a few days before we arrived, most were missing limbs and lethargic). there were ZERO/NO/NONE/NADA inverts in the sand like all previous years, no clams or crabs. heck, i only saw 2 stinking ghost crabs the whole time. every other time i have seen hundreds. the only thing i ended up really finding was sea grass lol

dang u guys are lucky cali area dont have none =[

How so? We have plenty but the water is colder so most animals, if any, will live unless you build a cold water tank. I was going to say though some of the best diving in the world is right here in Ca. Dive Monterey.

You can collect pods from tide pools, some clams, and what not to put into your tank (if that is your thing). Also water. I do it from time to time and it is super great stuff :) Same rules apply regarding parks and what not. But that is easy enough to sort out and keep everyone happy.

I go colleting all the time and as Ryan said, not all coral are connected to LR.
Just study the FWC website and know what you can and cannot take.
It's a lot of fun, I was out in 2 - 3 feet of water last weekend and found a beautiful blue mushroom, gorgonians, zoanthids, seamat, lettuce nudibrach, decorator crabs, anemone shrimp, rock anemones, astrea snails, nerites, ceriths, sea stars etc etc. Pity the water is getting too cold for me now....:(

Have you tried collecting the flower anemones

Back