Coral Growth

laserjim

Another Day In Paradise
What do you think contributes to coral growth the most ? What must one do to promote the best coral growth ? Any nice reads out there ? Opinions on your personal experience ?:idea:

Light
Correct parameters
Night feedings

Last edited:
patience!

wish I could say more but this is what I have learned only being a year into the hobby. I'm sure more experienced reefers will have more to contribute :D

Stability and a calcium reactor did it for me. Of course most people have a bad habit of messing with their systems way too much In general IMO.

Yes I will add alk 9dkh or higher and ph above 8.0 as the low

I'd agree with that. I'll add that you probably won't be checking anything but salinity once you get a calcium reactor up and running for a few weeks. Also, ph below 8 is normally either an excess of effluent out or a minimal fresh air in problem when running a calcium reactor.

Not so sure I agree with Alk above 9. NSW is much lower and i run 7.8 with great growth. I Think stability is the key. pick your numbers for what ever reason and keep them there. If you don't run CaRx, really keep on top of your 3 part PLUS watch your potassium and salinity like said above. But, I run Zeovite and the goal there is to keep parameters at NSW.

Not so sure I agree with Alk above 9. NSW is much lower and i run 7.8 with great growth. I Think stability is the key. pick your numbers for what ever reason and keep them there. If you don't run CaRx, really keep on top of your 3 part PLUS watch your potassium and salinity like said above. But, I run Zeovite and the goal there is to keep parameters at NSW.

As u mentioned u run zeo. Growth is crazy with zeo as u pump steroids in the tank for the corals. If u run alk at 9 u will burn your coral tips. I'm very informed about the zeovite system. That all being said potassium depletion is only an issue in most zeovite systems. Not a common issue with traditionally run systems. I can post the link to the thread randy Holmes Farley wrote about alk and ph. Coral calcification increases at higher ph and alk for sure. I have done personal testing with diffent alk and ph combos. I will put out a disclaimer if u push both ph and alk to much u will burn corals just like zeovite system does if u get higher then NSW numbers.

Roger

As u mentioned u run zeo. Growth is crazy with zeo as u pump steroids in the tank for the corals. If u run alk at 9 u will burn your coral tips. I'm very informed about the zeovite system. That all being said potassium depletion is only an issue in most zeovite systems. Not a common issue with traditionally run systems. I can post the link to the thread randy Holmes Farley wrote about alk and ph. Coral calcification increases at higher ph and alk for sure. I have done personal testing with diffent alk and ph combos. I will put out a disclaimer if u push both ph and alk to much u will burn corals just like zeovite system does if u get higher then NSW numbers.

Roger

LOL, ya, your point well taken on Zeo and levels. Does steroids mean zillions of dollars?! Sometimes it feels that way (pumping dollar bills into the tank daily)!

I guess it gets back to "choose your poision" and maintain it!

LOL, ya, your point well taken on Zeo and levels. Does steroids mean zillions of dollars?! Sometimes it feels that way (pumping dollar bills into the tank daily)!

I guess it gets back to "choose your poision" and maintain it!

It is a pricy way to go for sure. Smaller tanks not so bad, but in your 300 costly for sure.

Roger

What I like about Zeo is the great support forum and great advice from the mods (Alexander for one) it really isn't too bad, but figure $50/60 per month on average for my 300. I run ZeoStart3 (Carbon Source), ZeoBak (bacteria for stones), Zeolite, Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster, Amino Acids (very potent .... literally drops matter), BBalance, Coral Vital. For K(Potassium) I use Red Sea Colors B, Iodide (usually like either Brightwells or ESV), Red Sea Blue bucket salt, and whom ever Mag/Alk/Ca. The 300 going to CaRx this week.

Last edited:
What I like about Zeo is the great support forum and great advice from the mods (Alexander for one) it really isn't too bad, but figure $50/60 per month on average for my 300. I run ZeoStart3 (Carbon Source), ZeoBak (bacteria for stones), Zeolite, Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster, Amino Acids (very potent .... literally drops matter), BBalance, Coral Vital. For K(Potassium) I use Red Sea Colors B, Iodide (usually like either Brightwells or ESV), Red Sea Blue bucket salt, and whom ever Mag/Alk/Ca. The 300 going to CaRx this week.

I was spending more then that per month by more then double with the zeovite system years ago. Running a similar programe u r running but with a couple less products. Unless u r getting in on the sales zeo has a couple times a year u need to double to even triple your cost estaminet on that 300. Yes I know the forum well also. Spent about a year over there doing research like crazy before I started running it. I currently do not run it. If anyone needs a quality zeovite reactor for the stones I have 1 for cheep :)

I have a question about temperature, I don't use a heater and my temp usually varies about 2 degrees from night and day. This in turn changes the salinity. Should i be running a heater to keep the temp exact ? If so , what size heater for my 265 ?

I was spending more then that per month by more then double with the zeovite system years ago. Running a similar programe u r running but with a couple less products. Unless u r getting in on the sales zeo has a couple times a year u need to double to even triple your cost estaminet on that 300. Yes I know the forum well also. Spent about a year over there doing research like crazy before I started running it. I currently do not run it. If anyone needs a quality zeovite reactor for the stones I have 1 for cheep :)

Oh, good point. I only buy on the 40% off sales and buy big. Usually by for the year so yes, a good sum, but just about 1/2 off. So I would say I am running pretty close to what i said. I don't run their K, PIF, JOD, ZeoZym, and PholsXtra which are pretty pricey. I did not get any additional benefits from these so I found alternatives.

I have a question about temperature, I don't use a heater and my temp usually varies about 2 degrees from night and day. This in turn changes the salinity. Should i be running a heater to keep the temp exact ? If so , what size heater for my 265 ?

If your +/- 2 degrees your doing good in my opinion. I set for 78 and am between 78 and 81 with no chiller. You may get other opinions although but I think your fine.

Back