Coral Growth

Oh, good point. I only buy on the 40% off sales and buy big. Usually by for the year so yes, a good sum, but just about 1/2 off. So I would say I am running pretty close to what i said. I don't run their K, PIF, JOD, ZeoZym, and PholsXtra which are pretty pricey. I did not get any additional benefits from these so I found alternatives.

The pholsxtra was amazing for me. I posted growth by about 1/4 inch per every 5 days with the stuff.
If your +/- 2 degrees your doing good in my opinion. I set for 78 and am between 78 and 81 with no chiller. You may get other opinions although but I think your fine.

Agreed I run heaters and chiller but I allow for 2 deg swing.

According to this article - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/5/aafeature

image_full

The Stylo on the left is a slow grower - more nutrients (Phosphates / Nitrates) and less Carbonate (i.e. alkalinity) (relatively)

The stylo on the right is a fast grower - with lower nutrients and higher carbonates. (relatively)

From this study - you could take away the assumption that if you want a fast growing environment - your colors will be less than ideal.

Fairly low nutrient. At this particular time gha is making it low but I haven't tested potassium since gha came around.
Water changes were about 10% every 2 weeks. Since gha much more. 20% every 3-7 days.

what works for me has been

Stability
Proper Lighting
Kalk stirrer

It also depends on the coral itself, I've had an Oregon tort for over a year which has only grown 1/2" opposed to a white tip staghorn which has grown 3" in every direction in the same time.

Back