Coral Polyp Extrusion site

Does this happen with SPS also?

I know this isn't a great pic, but it is two bubbles in the tissue that look like blisters.

56032DSC06598.JPG

Topdown of the colony. The blisters (not shown in the below pic)are in the shade under that purple rimed piece right in the center.

56032DSC06622.JPG

as requested from eric im posting this tjread her.

just realisd a peace of "flesh" hanging and "wawing in the current when i got home from work today. the "dropping is aboud 5mm long.
one picture of the mother colony

72087echnoipora1.JPG

some close ups!
72087echinopora2.JPG

72087echinopora.JPG

Here's my Faviid coral undergoing polyp extrusion.This pic was taken during the final stages just before it was released.The polyp,intact with a tiny bit of skeleton is still alive and needs to be secured to the aquascape before it gets lost.The whole process from extrusion to drop-off took approximately 2 months.

37881faviifextrusion.JPG

The extruded polyp/corallite is now secured to the aquascape,should be fun watching this little guy grow.

i have similar happening with a frag of candy cane coral in my 120 under 2x250watt...moved from my frag tank 4 months ago...problem is my urchin keeps knocking it over will try to get pics for you sir :)

When put in my main tank, candy cane was starting to split from one to two heads, now has 3 and this 1month old extrusion seen on right, skeleton is inside, on a tiny piece of tissue
in 9/05: on the frag rack starting to split:
frag6.jpg

Now:
candycaneextrusion4.jpg

high res:
http://forestalsfish.com/pics/Tanks/120reef/dec05/candycaneextrusion3.jpg

Tank: pH: 8.3, Nitrates: <5, Nitrites/Ammonia: 0, Alk 9mg/L, Calcium 410mg/L, phosphate: 0 measured; I do 15 gallon weekly water changes using IO salt, also my temp is 74-78 F (don't know if that matters with this)

tank is 120gallon with dual corner overflows with sump and approx 150#live rock, flow to this frag in particular is moderate from a tunze from opposite corner

I feed once a day 5x/week with mysis, cyclopeeze, zoplex, and coral plus

will repost when the little one pops off and will find a good spot for it and photo

cheers, happy new year :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this thread is still alive or not, but here's a pic of a Favites I've had for several years and it's making a major extrusion.
Favitebudding120805post.jpg

my yellow polyps do that sometimes, theyll poof out in a bulge, then theyll all suck in and then the bulge will dissapear but no new polyps form... hmmmm kinda cool to watch, although it freaked me out a few tiems lol

I do not have pics and it only happened once. But I figure you may be keeping a count of the people this has happened to for your research. My Blastomussa dropped a head three days after I put it in my tank. The next morning I woke up and saw a head laying in the sand. I glued on a peace of rock and gave it to a friend. It has multiplied and is doing well in his tank. Dan PS I saw a video of you doing a calss on propagating, lots of useful info. I did not know about the mucucs and what not being so toxic.

I didnt know what my coral was doing but now thanks to davejnz , i do, here are some pictures of my frogspawn doing it.

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

i have a red pavona doing this right now i just noticed it the other day... you can see a little white piece of skeleton in the center of the red flesh on the drip. i will try to take a photo tonight of it.

That frogspawn picture brings up an interesting point for the branching LPS corals. I have several candy canes and now a hammer than I screwed up that are dropping a polyp just like that. I noticed from accidental experiments that if the actual bone structure of the coral is damaged, without causing infection to the outside skin of the coral, that it can repair its skin, skeleton, and will push out the inflicted damage in the form of a dropping bud as a form of recovery. My candy canes have done it twice now when I was a little rough fragging just recently. It took them only a few weeks to repair the main polyp, and begin to drop the damaged bone fragment away as a completely new polyp. This could explain another way of reproduction in the wild where storm or other environmental damages to a corals skeleton can facilitate another kind of reproduction.

Back