Coral Reefs Bleaching Worldwide

"Great Barrier Reef will lose 95 per cent of its living coral by 2050"

Like I said, the experts can't tell us if it will rain tomorrow. There is no way that anybody know what will be going on in 45 years.

Yes the ocean is currently warmer. Nobody knows if the earth is going through a natural warm cycle, or it is a man made problem.

That said, there are many good reasons to concerve energy. I drive a small car, not an SUV. That is just good common sence, whether CO2 is warming the earth or not. Cleaner air, saving fuel, reducing our dependence on foreign oil, the list goes on and on.

Actually, Earth within the next hundred million years will be getting colder bc its slowly moving away from the sun.
By that time, man is eith extinct or we have colonized other planets.

Doesn't anyone remember the last ice age, or am I just that old?

On a geological scale, changes in climate are a reality. The length of time for which our so-called "scientists" have been tracking global temperature changes is but a blink in the thousands of millenia that our planet has been in existance.

Excuse me if I don't buy into anything CNN reports (read: spoon feeds) to the masses.

You know, I saw an interesting program on History Channel. I couldn't catch the entire show, but they were saying that during the Midevil (sp?) years the earth's temp dropped maybe two degrees, dosn't sound like a lot but it caused an insane amount of problems, I think it said it caused the Ireland Potato Famine and influenced the Black Plague. As we now see, things are warming up, earth recovered from this "mini-Ice age" relatively okay, and we know that Earth had a completely tropical climate during the Mezazoic(?) Era, then the Ice Age, then a "normal" temp. For all we know Earth could have a completely natural fluctuation of temperature and climate. As for natural disasters, I belive I recall hearing there were an unusually large amount of hurricanes in the 50's. Don't crucify me for my sources guys and gals, just take this into consideration.

And I am of the opinion that we should do everything in our power to save disappearing species, and now we can even keep "extinct" species alive in captivity, but in all reality, if reefs are going to die out...They are going to die out. Look at their biology, they are very fragile and require VERY specific conditions to thrive, maybe they just aren't flexible enough for nature. Nature was able to wipe out the dinosaurs (lets say that there were other factors besides a meteor) and regardless of common thought, the dinosaurs weren't unfit or uncapable in the least, they were hugely succesful with a reign of millions of years, we will be lucky if we are around that long.

I still say though, we should do what we can. Get involved in frag trading, recycle, buy captive bred, make small donations whenever possible. We may be fighting a losing battle, but at least we are fighting :).

this has been my argument for getting caribbean corals in captive propagation but theres all sorts of laws against it. i can only hope people have smuggled corals from the caribbean into europe because the reefs are in bad shape here.

Dactyl, the coral diversity here in the caribbean is not nearly as high as othr places in the world (pacific). Because of this, collection and captive propogation is not nearly as big an issue as other places. I know of plenty of public aquariums and such which have both of the caribbean acroporas along with many other carribean corals of concern. I think oppening up collection or permiting for collection to the public would only damage our reef that much further.

To those who would say things such as scientists are wrong or the data is not enough to quantify, I say bunk. The facts are there that we're haing at least some kind of problem. Almost every INDEPENDENT scientist (not those on fedral payroll grants, or federally paid studies) agree that the Global Warming is real and the effects (at least short term) are very noticeable.

I worked for W. L. Gore and Assoc. for 17 years, makers of Gore-Tex fabrics. In the early 90's they funded the Antarctic crossing project where one man set out with dogs and supplies to trek completey across the Antarctic on his own, camerman in tow.
During that time he was forced to replace his coats 7 times in a period of about a month. This was due completely to the enormous amount of UV rays permeating and eating the teflon membrane coating. While I am in no way a scientist or anythign of the sort, I do know that there has always been somewhat of a UV/Ozone hole in the Antarctic.
The growth of this hole has been tremendous and steady over the last 20-25 years.

Regardless of how or why the Global Warming epademic is happening, and I believe it is serious, we need to seriously take some actions and steps to curb our own pollution levels. Even if this Warming is indicative of a ciclative action, we're causing enough pollution that the effects could remain much longer than nature had intended. It's also quite possible that some of the effects might never be nature repaired.

It is a cycle and the world is going through another cycle once again. We are not going through global warming imo, but what do i know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7584991#post7584991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
It is a cycle and the world is going through another cycle once again. We are not going through global warming imo, but what do i know.

Can you back up what you say with evidence. You say its a cycle but Earth's previous cycles did not have humans in it. Yet now we are destroying our Earth and yet other animals do not.

This thread has become a little to political, and i would prefer to leave my political views out of this. So that said, show me a report that says we are going through global warming and that temperatures are rising more than expected then maybe i might believe this, but the fact is the temperatures are not going up more than normal, and we are not going through global warming. Hurricanes have been hitting us in florida before i was born and way before my mom and dad were born, it just happens to be that we are getting a few more storms because of weather changes as far as wind shere and what not, the temperature of the water only makes a hurricane stronger not produce more hurricanes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585031#post7585031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
[B the temperature of the water only makes a hurricane stronger not produce more hurricanes. [/B]

Hurricanes thrive off ocean waters in 80 degree temperatures and originate off the west coast of Africa. Not only do hurricanes become stronger in higher ocean temperatures, but they also become stronger faster.

you said the temperature doesn't affect the productivity of hurricanes but it actually does. Hurricanes are much more easier to create in ocean temps of 80 plus degrees and the chances of one being created is much higher.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585031#post7585031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
Hurricanes have been hitting us in florida before i was born and way before my mom and dad were born.

Ok, but the frequency of hurricanes like we are having now has never been this high in the past as it is now.

Some great news for Hawaii's Reef systems

Some great news for Hawaii's Reef systems

Whatever the reason...good news!

EDITORIAL: Orlando Sentinal

A bold move
Our position: President Bush's decision to protect sensitive Hawaiian waters was exemplary.

Posted June 17, 2006

It doesn't take much to decimate the Earth's fragile ecosystems. Private plundering, commercial accidents and government neglect all have managed it exceedingly well.

Government just as easily can preserve them, however. President George W. Bush's landmark act this week designating the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Coral Reef Ecosystem Reserve a national monument shows how.

Mr. Bush's extraordinary designation effectively makes the 1,400 miles long, 100 miles wide archipelago a do-not-disturb zone. The only exceptions to that government rule will be certain scientists, educators, photographers and scuba divers granted government permits. Commercial fishermen, recreational boaters and others need not apply.

What Mr. Bush's action means to these Pacific waters, stretching as far as Chicago is to Miami, is nothing less than a lifeline to the extraordinary array of species that make those waters home.

Seabirds, seals, sea turtles and other wildlife long have been under siege there. That fact led to presidents from Teddy Roosevelt to Bill Clinton giving it varying protective status. Mr. Bush's move goes further, though. Making the area a national monument takes it out of the reach of those who might have special designs on it, like, say, congressmen.

Scarcely a day goes by, for example, where that species of animal doesn't announce its interest in tapping the oceans' limited resources. Just last month they lost a close vote in the U.S. House of Representatives that, had it passed, could have led to drilling for natural gas just 3 miles off Florida's shores.

For the moment, Florida's shores are spared that kind of harebrained intrusion. The monument in the Pacific created by Mr. Bush spares species there any potentially harmful, human-authored intrusions, perhaps in perpetuity.

It's farsighted government intervention that should help preserve 7,000 marine and terrestrial species. It's exemplary action from the president and also a clear reminder of what individuals and government can do to protect the environment if the will is there.

Including our own where the mercury levels have risen to record levels in the last 5 years, consistently!!!

Don't anticipate on eating Tuna much longer.

It is good to see at least something positive being done though, for a change.

Back