Coral Spotlight | Star Polyps

I'd go for a refund if available. It's unusual they would ship it USPS in my opinion as most coral is shipped overnight due to temperature. If you're willing to swing overnight shipping, I have a good bit of GSP and can send you a good sized piece. Only thing is mine grow on to the sand so likely wouldn't be on a frag plug but could easily glue it down with the sand it sticks to. I would just need to get proper packing materials unless I reuse one of my larger fish boxes.
That sounds awesome. How much is overnight shipping these days :D i know GSP is super aggressive and can overtake the tank. That's fine with me. I am only keeping a few soft coral like zoe and mushroom in a 55 gallon tank. One large blue hippo tang (6 years plus), two clownfish, 4 green chromis, one file fish and a snow flake eel. So 9 fish. Some snails in tank.

That sounds awesome. How much is overnight shipping these days :D i know GSP is super aggressive and can overtake the tank. That's fine with me. I am only keeping a few soft coral like zoe and mushroom in a 55 gallon tank. One large blue hippo tang (6 years plus), two clownfish, 4 green chromis, one file fish and a snow flake eel. So 9 fish. Some snails in tank.
Not sure what part of NY you’re in but from Ohio to Glens Falls, I can get overnight for roughly $60 plus heat packs

Not sure what part of NY you’re in but from Ohio to Glens Falls, I can get overnight for roughly $60 plus heat packs
I see. That is a bit too high. I should just get my lazy azz up and shop around. Theres local stores. Just got to commute a bit. Also just interesting. This same store offers 1 day shipping for just $24.99. Do they even make money 😂.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211-104536.png
    Screenshot_20231211-104536.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I see. That is a bit too high. I should just get my lazy azz up and shop around. Theres local stores. Just got to commute a bit. Also just interesting. This same store offers 1 day shipping for just $24.99. Do they even make money 😂.
No problem. Many places eat a large chunk of the shipping to make it seem more “reasonable” and if they’re a “bulk shipper” they get some extra discounts usually.

Hope i responded this well. And they need to do better.
Anyone who is shipping coral/tropical fish for profit should know better. Don’t worry about hurting any feelings. Whether it’s the fault of the seller or the shipping company, the customer should not feel compelled to take any responsibility for delayed shipping (or the lack of thermal packing).

Anyone who is shipping coral/tropical fish for profit should know better. Don’t worry about hurting any feelings. Whether it’s the fault of the seller or the shipping company, the customer should not feel compelled to take any responsibility for delayed shipping (or the lack of thermal packing).
Agreed. You might want to post about this after you get a final resolution in the Vendor Experience forum here.

Just an update. Not the best seller. But good news is buying from eBay. The platform honors the return and refund. Seller did not update me the status if items need to be returned. I waited long enough and decided to just send them back. Refund in progress.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-112031.png
    Screenshot_20231227-112031.png
    323.3 KB · Views: 5
Just an update. Not the best seller. But good news is buying from eBay. The platform honors the return and refund. Seller did not update me the status if items need to be returned. I waited long enough and decided to just send them back. Refund in progress.
You gotta do what you gotta do! Too bad the seller wouldn’t take care of the customer. It doesn’t matter who is at fault, we know the customer (you) didn’t do anything wrong.

Visited a local reef shop, picked up GSP. Took like almost 7 days for it to fully open. Then got a green polyp toadstool, been 5 days still not opening yet. It did shed a layer of tissue. Hope to see them open. I was searching youtube, funny no one posted a video about how long do corals open up from store to home. Guess people only post quick success videos.

Last edited:
Looking good. Toadstools can be a little finicky in my experience as to when they open. Mine will close for 2 or 3 days and it’s been in my tank for 3 or more years

Dang. I just realized these coral just dont open up easy. Unless u have the exact parameters as the store shop. Even so, the transportation will stress them out. I have seen some online shippers require buyer to contact and post within 2-3 hours window in order for DOA orders. How the heck one suppose to know dead or alive if they dont open to till 3-4 days later lol. I will shop local stores now on. Just a bad experience from the recent one. My old light died out. Got a new LED one. Do reefers go by the watt size? So far, seems to be working for my low maintenance soft corals. I am open ears for suggestions. Just want to make sure this light is sufficient for GSP, zoe, xenia, and toadstool, mushroom corals. I am not gonna bother with Stony corals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-170932.png
    Screenshot_20231227-170932.png
    905.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231227-171028.png
    Screenshot_20231227-171028.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I honestly don’t know much about LED. In the late 80’s I went from NO fluorescent to VHO fluorescent. Then in the early 90’s moved to metal halide and I’ve been using that since.

I honestly don’t know much about LED. In the late 80’s I went from NO fluorescent to VHO fluorescent. Then in the early 90’s moved to metal halide and I’ve been using that since.
The evolution of lazyness lol. I had T5 light in the past. Just hate the fact that i had to keep on replacing those light bulbs. I will just monitor them for now. I know if i want harder care corals, then probably need to upgrade to better lighting.

Dang. I just realized these coral just dont open up easy. Unless u have the exact parameters as the store shop. Even so, the transportation will stress them out. I have seen some online shippers require buyer to contact and post within 2-3 hours window in order for DOA orders. How the heck one suppose to know dead or alive if they dont open to till 3-4 days later lol. I will shop local stores now on. Just a bad experience from the recent one. My old light died out. Got a new LED one. Do reefers go by the watt size? So far, seems to be working for my low maintenance soft corals. I am open ears for suggestions. Just want to make sure this light is sufficient for GSP, zoe, xenia, and toadstool, mushroom corals. I am not gonna bother with Stony corals.
What size tank are you running? I would be concerned about the output (I’m not able to find any par numbers). I have the AquaNeat version of your light on my cichlid tank (in addition to T5) and find it’s rather dim, which may not end up being sufficient for even softies (unless your tank is rather shallow).

I’d definitely consider upgrading to at least a basic Chinese black box (like the WILLS - https://a.co/d/5Snfz6U) but you may need 2 depending on tank size. If not some of the more advanced (and also slightly more expensive black boxes) such as the SmatFarm, ViparSpectra (similar to the Wills but digital), NiCrew, or Noopsyche. Any of which will easily grow your softies as well as SPS if you eventually decide to go that route.

What size tank are you running? I would be concerned about the output (I’m not able to find any par numbers). I have the AquaNeat version of your light on my cichlid tank (in addition to T5) and find it’s rather dim, which may not end up being sufficient for even softies (unless your tank is rather shallow).

I’d definitely consider upgrading to at least a basic Chinese black box (like the WILLS - https://a.co/d/5Snfz6U) but you may need 2 depending on tank size. If not some of the more advanced (and also slightly more expensive black boxes) such as the SmatFarm, ViparSpectra (similar to the Wills but digital), NiCrew, or Noopsyche. Any of which will easily grow your softies as well as SPS if you eventually decide to go that route.
My tank is 55 gallon. Its a long tank. Probably need two of those light. 48 inch long by 12.5 inch and 21 inch height. No sump, plan to water change monthly.

Attachments

• 17037221586316199213568717886950.jpg
    17037221586316199213568717886950.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Back