coral thief on video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something similar happened here in EL Paso, Texas about a year ago. The guy ended up going to another LFS to a week or two later asking for advice on how to keep the SPS from bleaching.

it doesn't matter what it is , some people are jerks and will steel anything that is worth a penny . needless to say this a time when i hope someones tank crashes ,and i hope that the morons tank boils !

cheeky bugger, only 4 bits though... 4 grand seems excessive
I thought the same thing. The LFS probably ripped him off so he did this out of anger. I wonder what corals he took?

I talked to a guy that works there about this. What they show on the video is not all that he took. He make a couple of trips putting things in his bucket. The door to the tank is only about 4 to 5 feet away.

I talked to a guy that works there about this. What they show on the video is not all that he took. He make a couple of trips putting things in his bucket. The door to the tank is only about 4 to 5 feet away.

its bad whats happened but for someone not to stop him on multiple trips back and forth is pretty slack.

The good side of things: From personal experience from running a biz. The store will get a good chunk of the money back from insurance if a police report is filed.

The bad side: after going through that stress... most of the corals start bleaching. That tells you... the moron isn't an experienced reefer. With any luck... the corals will bleach and cause tank to crash.

Truly sad to see things like this.

This is a sad story. It happened here in Utah. That store is Marine Aquatics and just down the road from me.

He took some SWEET corals from that display tank. There was a chalice he took that was breath taking and BIG.

Here is a list of what was first reported as stolen.

Bright Red chalice, has greenish base color
SPS colony, green with blue tips about 6 inches by 8 inches (fairly flat growth pattern seen in video)
Bright Teal Stag colony, (Looks like a hand curving up)
Giant Colony of Rommel's watermelon acro (about 5-6 inches wide and 7-9 inches tall broken off right at the base single branch, colony had 40-50 branches)
Giant Green Acro 5-6 inches wide and 7-8inches tall (Dark Green base with Bright Blue tips, single branch base and 30-40 branches, looks like a Softball on top of a Sharpie)

There are other corals he got as well but I don't have that list. Since the incident, 2 news channels have done stories and both were receiving tips and got some pretty good leads that they are working on right now.

It would be nice if we could somehow watch the Buy/Sell/Trade forums and see if these corals pop up at all.

I am pretty sure the SPS died though. No way it lived through that much shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back