coralife super skimmer vreses AquaC

nubomb

Does anyone have any experience with both these skimmers? I hear everyone praising the Remora and I also heard good things about the coralife 125 model.

I have a 55 gallon tank which will be a FOWLR. I currently have around 30 lbs of live rock and I'll probably do another 30-40 lbs. I also have a wet/dry filter and would prefer to house the skimmer there so I don't have to see it on the tank.

IT's about a $50 dollar difference b/w the two so which would you prefer regardless of the cost? I really don't want to spend more then $200 for a skimmer.

I can only speak to the AquaC skimmers. My Remora is by far the best performing of the 3 skimmers I've owned over the years, all used on 30-50 gallon tanks, and requires the least maintenance--virtually none.

If you go with AquaC, you'll want the Urchin I think. It's based on the Remora, but designed for use in a sump. (The Remora is a hang on.)

I have a CSS (actually have 5 coral life skimmers) and they all work fine......I played with a lot of other skimmers Aqua C included and liked the coralife better.

Its hard to theorize comparisons of skimmers when other brands are simply stated as "all my other skimmers etc" since if the present skimmer is compared to say a Sea Clone or Prizm etc its not saying much...HOw about some brands that the Aqua C was compared too?

I got myself a CSS 125 and just can wait to test it out!!!! How will the CSS125 handle a 100g semi stocked.?

Sam

The other factors to consider (aside from cost) are ease of set-up/adjustment and how much maintenance required. The Remora gets 5 stars on both from my perspective. I'm sure others will comment on the CSS.

Well I just replaced my Remora with a css125 last month.
The Remora is more compact,looks nicer,fits better on the tank, cannot overflow as far as I know.
The Css skims better at least for me, is a little touchy on setting the level of the water line.
But as long as the needle wheel holds up this seems like a quality skimmer at a good price, which skimms better than the remora. Old Mike

a gate valve why? Are there any threads on here for that mod? Id like to check em out thanks EAGLES.

sam

thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning towards the coralife, maybe Ii'll step it up to the 220 version.

MF15 - Which skimmer makes the least amount of noise?

Nubomb: Hard to say my remora was pretty quite. The css it depends on how you set it up. My discharge using the plastic hose is submerged, so there is no water splash or gurgle, the air intake is also silenced by drawing the air through an ozoneizer.
I would have to say the css the way I have it set up is the most quite. Un less you have it in a bedroom I dont think the noise from either one is a big deal. Old Mike

Back