Corals at Petco??

jbittner,

I do as much research as I do working on my tank(s). I need not click on any link to where ever. All websites are just like the marine species themselves, they are subject to opinion based upon experience/individual study. I've done quite a bit of background research before considering my options. Some websites swear up and down that the dragonet is so resilient to disease that in near perfect conditions, it's virtually immortal. Others have said that the dragonet HAS been bred in captivity. If that's possible, why haven't I seen them?

You know what? Come to think of it, some "I"DIOT from one of those Petcos told me that their mandarin was bred in captivity. Of course he also told me pirahna was saltwater fish.

Anyways, $12 dollars for a mandarin is no loss to me, especially if I could train it to eat frozen food. I could have easily turned around and sold it for 3 times as much.

Nevertheless, Mandarins CAN die of ich, I know this because...

my second one did. After 5 months, I just gave up. I couldn't figure him out; couldn't get him out of the tank; always hid in the rocks; the food cope/amphipod even isopod population was plentiful.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8955751#post8955751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kyrie_eleison
Others have said that the dragonet HAS been bred in captivity. If that's possible, why haven't I seen them?

Breeding them is the easy part. It's the larval rearing that is still being worked on. A very few people have raised only one or a couple of larvae to metamorphosis, Julian Sprung is one them and a couple of others can be found in the breeding forum. However, until the larval rearing has made progress to the point of consistently rearing large quantities to post metamorphosis we won't be seeing any commercially raised one's.

my second one did. After 5 months, I just gave up. I couldn't figure him out; couldn't get him out of the tank; always hid in the rocks; the food cope/amphipod even isopod population was plentiful.

Why does this description have anything to do with ich?? Seems like a failure to thrive to me.

bit,

It died...of ich (not a failure to thrive). Trust me, I've reviewed my journal entries; it did have white spots all over it and being a creature that lives not only on the live rock but on the substrate it was inevitable.

How old is your tank kyrie?? Which tanks was it in? IMO and in 9 yrs of reefkeeping i have never seen a mandarin die of ich.

As far as pod poulation, yes--size, rock mass, age of tank and a safe place for pods to grow (refugium) do matter. I am sorry I was just tyring to help you find the problem with keeping mandarins alive. The mandarin was in the 55?? It seems to take alot of live rock to keep them alive IMO

jb,

You are right...it does take a great deal of live rock. 65 lb and a small culture of pods more than sufficed. The only reason I use a 55 is a lack of space in my home. I can assure you that if I could have gone with a bigger setup I would have at least went with a 100. If it were a 100 gallon, I would never had to ever do anything for it; just let it predate the pod population.

The opinions (including yours) vary wide and far beyond. Depending upon who you speak to you're going to hear that you need at least a 100 gallon tank and 100+ lbs of of live rock and has to be running a min. of 1 year. Others say that you could get away with a 30 gallon; 40+ lbs of live rock and a refugium with pod culture (provided there are no other creatures competing for pods). One guy I know kept his in a 10 gallon nano; he of course was very well versed in the reef-keeping skill and hence the dietary needs of the mandarin was well met. Come to think of it...his mandarin actually ate FROZEN FOODS. Something I could never get mine to do.

I even went with a juvenile (couldn't have been more than an 1.5 inches in length). Absolutely gorgeous creature and a talk of great conversation among friends and family.

I appreciate your trouble-shooting technique but mandarins are too sensitive of a creature to keep. Ich is just way too aggressive of a parasite to contend with at times. For mandarins, they have the tendency to hide in the gills waiting for the right time to strike.

I actually had mine in my 55 with about 60 lbs of live rock. I am glad you appreciate the simplicity of these amazing creatures. Sorry if I come off as argumentative.

jb,

Oh...that's alright. There are intelligent people who know only the saltwater hobby and there are those like us who understand saltwater biology. Besides, this thread is about Petco.

I was there in my town last week. Its sad. I went there to look for a better power head wave maker. I didnt even buy it there. I got it at petland. Which also is attempting SW . Their selections were in fact healthy. VERY pricy but healthy looking they had Lots of fish and LOTS of SPS and LPS. I didnt buy because I kept thinking of petco's reputation. They had a torch coral with 6 or 7 frags huge! for 119.99. thats probably the best deal in the tank. But overall my local petco is pathetic here too

Petco had a great sale on today, I picked up some new stock for my 10G.

p.jpg

Please tell me that your just joking about that being a 10 gallon with all those fish crammed in.

yes, it's a joke...

however if we want to talk about big chain pet stores.. IME most won't shy away from allowing you to stock like crazy.

Having worked at a small pet store, The livestock is normally chosen by and manager or the customer service person who deals with all livestock. It seems to be both and personal choice and monetary one when going saltwater or even having coral. The manager may want to go salt but quotas will not let him. Mostly, the manager doesnt actually care aboyut keeping the stock healthy, he just wants to get in the door and then push it out on the customer. This is why coral may look good for some time, then because it is not purchased, it slowly dies in the poorly maintained tank. This is Petcos mentality, thye must meet quotas and sell stuff, whether it is healthy or not, in the end stick to the small fish stores that know what they are doing. But I guess if it is cheap and healthy, what the heh.

The Petco near me has a fairly decent looking coral selection. I'm sure the lighting they use is less than stellar for corals, but the tank is only 6-8inches deep. I would never buy livestock of any kind from petco, but it is cool to go check out the shallow coral tank...something about the open top and the shallow water just draws me in, it's like watching a miniature version of an entire ocean.

My petco is a disgrace, not one fish that dosent have ich! they had an 8" naso tang in an 18x18x18 tank! And even if you do have adequate room I do not think that 8" nasos should be removed from the ocean anyway.

Helloreef

Back