Correct Skimmer Size

vtxrobert

Setting up a new 100 gallon tank I purchased, it came with a Reef Octopus Classic 200INT, is this kind of overkill for a 100 gallon system, the sump footprint is quite large, sorry if this is a dumb question, thanks!

Robert

75a83f02413a10a20534ddc59e4f6725.jpg

Setting up a new 100 gallon tank I purchased, it came with a Reef Octopus Classic 200INT, is this kind of overkill for a 100 gallon system, the sump footprint is quite large, sorry if this is a dumb question, thanks!

Robert

75a83f02413a10a20534ddc59e4f6725.jpg

As long as it doesn't heat the water to much. And you have the room. Go for it, see below recommendations.

Manufacturer rated for tanks up to 250 gallons
BRS recommended for tanks up to 160 gallons

As long as it doesn't heat the water to much. And you have the room. Go for it, see below recommendations.

Manufacturer rated for tanks up to 250 gallons
BRS recommended for tanks up to 160 gallons

What's my options if I wanted a skimmer for approx 100 gallons with a smaller footprint

There are several small footprint cone skimmers with the pump in the housing. This saves a lot of real estate over having the pump external of the skimmer body. Too many to list but just search cone skimmer and browse....

Good luck!

There are several small footprint cone skimmers with the pump in the housing. This saves a lot of real estate over having the pump external of the skimmer body. Too many to list but just search cone skimmer and browse....

Good luck!

Thank you!

Aquamaxx Cones CO-1 is a great skimmer. I have run it, and a CO-2 in a slightly larger tank as well. Both were excellent performers.

mike

I put this skimmer on a 150 and it is a skimmate producing machine. Literally it won't stop producing the foulest gunk I've ever seen. If you go that route be sure to put a durso silencer on the output. Otherwise it will slosh water and be loud. You can DIY out of 1.25" PVC and some sandpaper to fit the metric pipe.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-...skimmer.html?gclid=CIrskOmTissCFVg6gQodkhoJcQ

My RO 150int on my 90 isn't all that great. I think a 6" neck makes a world of difference.

Skimmer size is only a starting point. It really depends on many factories like how many fish how much u feed and other factors also like do you run filter socks and Chang them daily or weekly. I'm sure there are more factors but I can't think of anything right now.

Also a skimmers skim mate is not a great way to determine how well it works. For example if you have a good quality skimmer that's well oversized it may not pull out much cause the water is already stripped of material to be removed. A small quality skimmer on a heavy stocked 500 gal system will pull out a lot of dark skim since there is a lot in the water to pull out.

The skimmer u have should be fine. If you just want to try something different then go for it.

By the way I am running a small reef Octo on my 400gal multitask system. It pulls a tone out so it works well

Roger

^ Indeed, but there is a difference between performance from one skimmer to the next. Like I said, I'm not thrilled about the 150. Something isn't right. There's no consistency after 2+ years of service. I'll be happy to retire that thing when I upgrade. I was shocked to see how well the 160 performed.

Old heads like me and many of my friends feel you can't over skim. Put the biggest one that will fit or you can afford and run it. When there is no poop it will not collect poop but when you over feed like we all do a bigger one will catch up faster.

You already have a skimmer. Don't overthink it. Just run it.

Old heads like me and many of my friends feel you can't over skim. Put the biggest one that will fit or you can afford and run it. When there is no poop it will not collect poop but when you over feed like we all do a bigger one will catch up faster.

You already have a skimmer. Don't overthink it. Just run it.

+++1111.
I'm a firm believer in using the biggest skimmer you can fit...Also it will help with PH....

Back