Couple pictures of my daughter...

Recty

I just really liked the way these first two turned out, the natural sunlight back lighting from the deck really makes me like them :love1:

nicole252.jpg

nicole253.jpg

nicole244.jpg

And then this one below... she thinks she is going to get my camera strap, you can see how excited she looks :) She loves to touch my camera. She's a snob though, because the 50D she didnt care much about. The 5Dmk II though, she cant get enough of it. :eek1:

nicole257.jpg

Wow, I see what you mean about the first two, but that third pic, (looks like the one in your avatar), man her eyes. That's a beautiful shot.

Wow, I see what you mean about the first two, but that third pic, (looks like the one in your avatar), man her eyes. That's a beautiful shot.
Yep, that's my avatar picture as well.

Her eyes are insanely blue. Mine are blue but not super intense like hers, my wife has dark brown eyes so we werent sure what my daughter's would turn out like. Seems like they are going to stay blue, they would have started turning brown by now if they were going to.

I've got some pictures of her facing a good light source like the sun (just something natural, not inside CF lighting) and her eyes are just super blue. That's always what people first say about her, wow, what blue eyes she has.

And then they tell us she looks just like her daddy and her mommy gets a little irritated :)

man, she is growing fast! The third is my favorite. I like the backlighting in the first two but the pose and shadows in the first make it not work as well for me. Some fill flash and her looking up would have nailed it. I really like the second one though with that light hitting her face and hair. Still, the third is my favorite. Her expression, her eyes, the softness and DOF are great and with the highlights on her hair - perfect.

I think #3 is the best shot and I'm personally not a fan of the warm tone. Since, I'm currently post processing some photos, I went a head and spent 2mins on #3. I hope you do not mind. Let me know what you think. :)

nicole244.jpg

Yep, I processed this a couple different ways. I personally like the warm, golden tone more than the stark white hospital look. To be honest, that doesnt look like her, or any human for that matter, the skin is much to white. At least imo, and I'm used to white people who get no suntan while living in Alaska :)

I was thinking when I first went through it and saved it that I probably should tone down the warmness a little. One thing I've noticed is that I do save for web from photoshop and it seems to me that it warms up all the pictures. I dont know enough about the process to really understand why this is happening.

And I do agree with you two, the third one is probably my favorite. There's something about the first picture though, the one where she is looking down with a little smile on her face, I just really like it. But if I was going to bring a picture around to show people my daughter, I'd do the third one.

I know what you mean, but my thought on number 3 is the innocent curiosity. She's looking up like she's trying to figure out what's going on. It's like you captured that IMO.

Agreed.

What's interesting is #3 is a lot less yellow toned on my home computer, which is where I adjusted it. At work it looks quite a bit more yellow.

I really hate calibrating my monitors, because while then it will look "normal" to me, all the 99% of the other users out there who browse the forums looking at pictures will think it doesnt look right since I'm adjusting for a non standard calibrated LCD.

If the right color profile is embedded and the viewer is using a browser with color management enabled(ex. firefox), it should not make much of a difference.

If the right color profile is embedded and the viewer is using a browser with color management enabled(ex. firefox), it should not make much of a difference.

BTW, if you remember what changes you made to my image to get it that nice bright white look, will you let me know? Doesnt have to be too detailed, but I'm having a hard time replicating that look, I went back and was goofing around again on it.

I succeeded in turning down the white balance, cooling down the picture and I did a couple other things like adjusted the exposure up but I'm still not getting that look you did. It's almost like you just took all the red out of the picture or something?

BTW, if you remember what changes you made to my image to get it that nice bright white look, will you let me know? Doesnt have to be too detailed, but I'm having a hard time replicating that look, I went back and was goofing around again on it.

I succeeded in turning down the white balance, cooling down the picture and I did a couple other things like adjusted the exposure up but I'm still not getting that look you did. It's almost like you just took all the red out of the picture or something?

I'm assuming you're using PhotoShop? It's quite simple, I adjusted the settings in "Curves", "Brightness/Contrast", add a little cooling filter, played with Shadows/Highlights, "Selective colors". Also, for the over all look, I did a little dodging on her eyes and edges with the dodge tool to give the photo a little pop. You just have to play around with the settings until you find the desired look.

Uh oh, she is standing on her own now?? Let's hope she limits that iPhone to Angry Birds, and not the boys!! haha

You know you can't let your eyes off of her until she's married now, right? haha

Yeah, she's a year old as of a couple weeks ago, she's been walking since 9 months, so standing on her own has been going on for quite a while :)

Yes, raising a girl seems like it's going to be a lot of work, but it's pretty rewarding :)

Back