Any advice on how to rescue a neglected tank and try to save the livestock??

Don't forget to maintain a steady pH. If the 'old' pH was wrong, keep the pH the same in the new system, and change it slowly to its proper range.

Well water & the RO DI unit are NOT friends.
Usually there is CO2 in well water & it kills the DI.
The water has to be degassed before it gets to the RO.

It was a late night. The tank was pretty bad but one of the relatives did make some water now and again and did try to keep it topped off. The salinity was around 1.030. All I have to measure salinity right now is a cheap hydrometer. There has been no circulation or filtration for almost a month.

The tank was probably pretty nice when it was running. Good bit of pretty nice rock and a few corals were salvageable. The best part is once I started digging through the mud, besides the two clowns we also found a Goby, a Wrasse and a pretty good sized shrimp. I had no idea that marine fish were this hardy. I mean the tank was a horror show.

The rock is in my garage with a power head and a heater in a Brute trash can. The fish I have in a little ten gallon aquarium with heat and a power head. They are all still alive this morning. I’m on well water so the RODI is making water slow. I ordered a booster pump last night. I don’t know if I should just make some saltwater with tap water just to get the fish And corals in some clean water? I have to work today so hopefully tonight I can clean some more stuff up and get some more water changed.
Oops! I didn't realize you are on well water. Many problems.

It was a late night. The tank was pretty bad but one of the relatives did make some water now and again and did try to keep it topped off. The salinity was around 1.030. All I have to measure salinity right now is a cheap hydrometer. There has been no circulation or filtration for almost a month.

The tank was probably pretty nice when it was running. Good bit of pretty nice rock and a few corals were salvageable. The best part is once I started digging through the mud, besides the two clowns we also found a Goby, a Wrasse and a pretty good sized shrimp. I had no idea that marine fish were this hardy. I mean the tank was a horror show.

The rock is in my garage with a power head and a heater in a Brute trash can. The fish I have in a little ten gallon aquarium with heat and a power head. They are all still alive this morning. I’m on well water so the RODI is making water slow. I ordered a booster pump last night. I don’t know if I should just make some saltwater with tap water just to get the fish And corals in some clean water? I have to work today so hopefully tonight I can clean some more stuff up and get some more water changed.
I think the actions you have taken are good ones. Since the fish are only in a 10 gallon tank, you can buy some gallons of cheap drinking water and use that for water changes until you work out the bugs with the RODI. If you change out a gallon of water every other day you will have improved the water quality greatly in a week without shocking anything.
The live rock will be fine in the brute can as you have it.
If the 75 gallon tank is not all scratched up, you should be able to sell it or that is not a bad size to ease back into the hobby.

I lost one of the clowns last night unfortunately. The good news is the others are starting to eat and are looking a good bit better. I’ve been slowly changing water and added a hang on filter with some carbon. I’ve got all the equipment cleaned up and surprisingly everything but one heater is still working. my RODI booster pump showed up today so will make water all weekend and change the water in the Brute can that has the rocks. I’ve run every tank I ever had on well water and never had any problems that I can tell from the water Except for the pressure issue.

I also have to decide what direction to go for a display tank. If the 75 was drilled I would strongly consider it. I just like the cleaner look of everything below in a sump. Personal preference I guess. I’m kind of on the fence about what to do with the rocks. would It be worth it to bleach them or something along those lines or just use them to cycle the new tank?

That’s too bad about the clown. As for the rocks, I’d just let them cycle out. To me there’s no point killing the bacteria that’s there unless there’s visible undesirables. You can always boost it by adding bottled bacteria or buying a couple pieces of real/aquacultured live rock

I lost one of the clowns last night unfortunately. The good news is the others are starting to eat and are looking a good bit better. I’ve been slowly changing water and added a hang on filter with some carbon. I’ve got all the equipment cleaned up and surprisingly everything but one heater is still working. my RODI booster pump showed up today so will make water all weekend and change the water in the Brute can that has the rocks. I’ve run every tank I ever had on well water and never had any problems that I can tell from the water Except for the pressure issue.

I also have to decide what direction to go for a display tank. If the 75 was drilled I would strongly consider it. I just like the cleaner look of everything below in a sump. Personal preference I guess. I’m kind of on the fence about what to do with the rocks. would It be worth it to bleach them or something along those lines or just use them to cycle the new tank?
Same. I've used well water for years without issue.

Drill the tank, it's easy (assuming it's not tempered). Lots of youtube videos on it for insight.

I have always used a HOB overflow box on my undrilled tank that has a basement sump. I know most folks are afraid of losing the syphon and having a flood disaster, but I have used this method for 20 years without incident. The key is to match the return pump's flow (minus head pressure) with the capacity of the HOB overflow box's drain. A variable speed return pump is the easiest way to match it perfectly.

Drilling the tank is not really that hard either, my son has drilled all his tanks without a problem.

unfortunately there is a big sticker in the bottom of the tank saying it is tempered.
It's probably just the bottom that's tempered which is common. If you have polarized glasses you can tell if glass is tempered supposedly - never tried it myself. If you know who manufactured the tank, the makeup of it can be ascertained by contacting the manufacturer. Of course when in doubt, don't.

It's probably just the bottom that's tempered which is common. If you have polarized glasses you can tell if glass is tempered supposedly - never tried it myself. If you know who manufactured the tank, the makeup of it can be ascertained by contacting the manufacturer. Of course when in doubt, don't.
Yep, most tanks have tempered bottom glass, but not the uprights. I’ve drilled my fair share of tanks and, knock on wood, never shattered one.

One last post and I’ll let this thread die. Yesterday I went and bought a 48x24x30 150 gallon tank. It was always the setup I wanted and never got. Needless to say it took a chunk out of my budget. I still have rocks in a brute container and will need to cycle more for this tank. Plus getting equipment and setting it up the way I want it Is going to take some time.

my question is about the three fish and shrimp I have from the 75 gallon mess. I have one clown, a Christmas Wrass,a small Goby and a shrimp. They are currently in a ten gallon with a power head and a hang on the back filter along with a piece of decent live rock. My question is will they be ok staying in the 10 gallon for a while or should I set the 75 back up? I was thinking of adding some sand to help the stress level of the Wrasse and Goby. Everyone is eating now and looks pretty good. I thought about buying a Rubbermaid trough but don’t really want to spend money on something I don’t think I will use again. My other tanks I cycled rock in the display tank with lots of water changes and it always worked out but never had fish in the display during the cycle. Maybe that’s an option? This process would be a lot easier if I didn’t have the fish but at this point I would like to keep them and have them in my display.

Thanks again for all the help I’ve received and the patience with all my questions.

I think if you add sand that they will be ok in the 10 gallon, at least for a while. The wrasse is probably the one who might be the most at risk. I would put enough rock to create separate territories.
How long before you think your new tank will be cycled and up and ready for livestock?

I would say a month at least to get what rocks I have here cycled and get some others shipped in. I only have about 70 lbs here on hand. Plus rounding up pumps, plumbing, skimmer etc. I went to a local place today and got some sand. The fish have been pretty peaceful but they seem lost on the bottom with no sand. Guess I’ll see how it goes.

I would think they should be ok for several months if they have sand (for the wrasse) and rock for hiding places and territories. Usually as long as fish are not stressed by bullying or feeling vulnerable, they will do alright with good water conditions and good food.

Back