Crocea clams

sohal1025

Does anyone know where to get crocea clams, or something similar. Never had any experience with clams. Looking for some insight.

I've always been really impressed with Aquatic Tech's clam selection.

They are generally 2-4" and range from 75-100 bucks. (I think that's their price range?)

Not the best prices, but one of the better selections in town to actually go and view them in person.

Honestly I dont even know who sells clams as bright as Aquatic Tech. I've seen a couple of nice ones at Saltty Critter, but not that often and they are generally bigger. 4-5", not sure of the price though.

I was up there last thursday picking up some drygoods and noticed that they had small clams for 59 each

Yeah I thought they were cheaper than what I thought. They always have really good bright green ones.

They wer pretty nice green one. But i havent ever seen any other colors up there. Recently i picked up a blue baby maxima from salty critter for the same price. So i think its a good deal. You really have to watch the prices at aquatic tech because some things are reasonable & others are way over priced.

If it were me & i was looking for a 2.5 clam i would check there.

my baby maxima is 2" but yes i heard its tough to keep baby clams smaller than 2-3" because of the high mortality rate. Mine has been in my tank for approx 3 weeks and doing ok so far. I hope it makes the long haul.

The clams at aquatic tech on thurs were 2.5 - 3" at the smallest. so it was a good deal.

I'm pumped. That's where I'm gonna get my clam from in the next 2 months. Just got my tank up and running this weekend, but it's going to be another month before I have lighting.

well I was only going to do a single Mh, but I think it's going to be too dark for my liking in the top corners.

So unless I can find a 2 bulb HQI MH setup with 2-36" T5's, I'm just going to do a 4 bulb T5 set up.

But I really really want MH. I might even do single ended just to get them.

But I'm concerned about heat issues and extra electricity. (I have read that HQI are very efficient and don't pull alot on your energy bill)

The hqi isnt too bad on the energy bill. I have two 70 watt hqi bulbs on my biocube with 2 36watt pc actinics. But heat is a definate concern. I had major heat and evap issues at first. now i have 2 12cfm fans mounted in the hood that pull the air out of the lid & keep the temps constant when the lights turn on. I bought a tunze osmolator. By far the best ato system ever. It is so precise i can remove 1/4 cup of water and it will sense the difference and run.

current draw watts wise is the same no matter what type of lighting it is 250 watts pc or mh or T5 is 250 watts of power being used there is no real energy savings between hqi or standard ballasts

all that electronic ballast can do that a magnetic can't is provide a constant out put to the bulb no matter what the voltage is within a certain limit, which means a constant out put to the bulb, higher pars on some and increased life span, but a 75,100, 175 or what ever wattage bulb still uses the same amount of watts no matter the ballast, there is no physical way to make a bulb draw less than it's rating

It seems that no matter what I post you will debate it. I will try one more time to state the facts in a way that will leave no room for misunderstanding. There is electricity going into the ballast and there is electricity coming out of it to power the bulb. There is also overhead and heat loss. Inefficiencies that cause the ballast to DRAW more wattage than the bulb actually uses. The electronic ballast is more efficient and has less of it's power draw used for making heat and for starting the bulb than the magnetic ballast does.
That is why there is a significant savings by using the electronic ballast over magnetic. It stated in the information I linked that there is a 5-25% savings. Over the life of a ballast I think it would add up to a free bucket of salt or even more. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10495002#post10495002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oldreefer76
but a 75,100, 175 or what ever wattage bulb still uses the same amount of watts no matter the ballast

I also have eight 54 watt bulbs that I run at roughly 85 watts.

I hope this helps explain what I was trying to say before.

BTW, to help get this thread back on track... there is a place in Michigan that is called Tropicorium and they have lots of clams at very reasonable prices. If you will be around the Detroit area you could save a bunch by going there. They will ship if you want them to but it cuts into your savings :)

dscn2395108fd45vz7.jpg

dscn239610982d2oa1.jpg

Last edited:
the clams at aquatic tech are greeen because of the 65k bulbs they are 6 inches under...when i put them in my tank they have much less green that i can see because of my 14k bulbs..

price and quality salty has the best clams in the area.

You mean 6500?

If thats what you mean, I'm really surprised that they don't look even better under the 14k.

Do they look awesome and just less green?

Or not so awesome and less green?

Back