cube lighting

brandon0350

i want to set up a 60 cube. i would like to keep sps middle, top, and lps and clams towards the bottom. what lighting should i go with?
1) 6 overdriven t5 ho
2) 250w 14k pheonix hqi

2) 250w 14k pheonix hqi

with VHO suppliments...

Clams and SPS require a high amount of lighting. expecially clams....

go for 7-10 w/gallon

I use a single 400watt pendant on my 60cube with either a 14,000K hamilton, XM 20,000K, or radium. I love it and my blue tort grows faster than xenia.

I run a 250W ARO ballast w/ 14K Phoenix bulb on my 60G cube. I get great coverage and just love the color. I mostly keep SPS and LPS.

I have a 60 gal cube also. It is pretty new but my sps are doing great! I have a 250 watt PFO ballast, Diamond Lumineric reflector, and I just switched from a 20k bulb (loved the color) to an Iwasaki 6500k (want to see if there is growth difference).

im changing this from a cube lighting forum to a cube equipment forum. can you guys post some pics of your 60 cubes and lis the equipment. what all caan you guys fit inside the stand? id like to put a ca reactor, kalkwasser, refugium, skimmer do you think there would be enough room? i have decided im going to go w/ halide. sould i go 250 of 400? should i add actinic? thanks for your help guys and dont forget to post pics:D

Supplimental linear flo bulbs are a PITA with a 60g cube. I would stick with the halide alone, and use a bluer bulb. Either a 400 or 250 can be fine...you have to compare reflectors, ballasts, and the performance of the bulb to what you intend to keep. A 250wattDE 14,000K pheonix on a HQI ballast and a 400watt 20,000K icecap or radium or XM on an icecap e-ballast will have near identical outputs, and a 400watt XM 15,000K will have a lower output than the 250 in this case.

what would be the ideal setup for a 250w? so far its the pheonix bulb but what reflector and ballst to get the most out of the light

At the start, a PFO HQI ballast would be the best performer, but they tend to burn out bulbs quicker...sometimes only 40% is left of the bulb's output in a year or less. For long-term with a bluer bulb, a good electronic ballast would be my pick. Icecap, Coralvue, blueline...etc.

i have the chance to get a aquamedic 250w pendant w a m80 ballast, and a 14k pheonix for pretty cheap. whats your thought on this system?

Back