Is NooPsych K7 Mini enough power for cube (23" wide x 15.5" front to back x 19" tall (17" water depth)

I have a Red Sea 130. (23" wide x 15.5" front to back x 19" tall (17" water depth). I'm planning to take off hood.

Stocking plan mix of softies and LPS, RBTA and pink bird nest near the top /middle.

I'm leaning toward K7 Mini versus K7 Pro (I would put shade on either to reduce light spill into room) because I'm curious if the K7 pro would be too much power for low light softies near the bottom if I've got a pink bird nest at the top. I'm thinking the smaller footprint of the K7 mini would allow more range of par within the tank.

Thoughts!

I think the K7 Mini would suit you. I just put one on a new setup that is 24x16x16. The tank has 2 BTAs, a Duncan, a Sinularia, a small piece of a Lepto, and a small piece of what is most likely m. Confusa. The lights ramp up to 50% on all 3 channels and holds it there for about 3 hours. The animals all seem very pleased with the lighting. The BTAs get double bubbles and haven't moved since placed Dec 11th. I like the color that I got on my first try; I haven't played with it at all. The app is really simple if repetitive; you have to add a setting for each hour instead of it interpolating.

Negatives? Mostly quibbles.

IMO the light doesn't have enough spread; the corners are really shaded. A longer gooseneck or hanging the light would help it a lot. Then it would need a shade.

The fan seems loud. It's in a bedroom so it may seem louder than it is. It also cycles a lot.

The white channel doesn't ramp up smoothly from 0% and 1% seems like a big jump. This may be a schedule issue but I never think about it until I'm already in bed so I haven't investigated.

The only thing I can think of with the mini is you’d be pushing the spread limit as @MrClean mentioned. Otherwise you’d likely be good with a mini no issues. With the pro, you’re likely good as well, as they’re a very adjustable light as far as percentages go

I really appreciate the insight. I am kinda seeking some issues with spread so I have some places for low light corals. I'm guessing, however, that I would be pushing the spread limit because I plan to use a shade and mount it low (maybe 6 inches over water) to reduce the spillage into the room.

Do you think I could do one or two of the easier acros( such as pink birds nest) high and in the middle of the tank?

The lowest height tested (by Noop) for par was about 10 inches. At 25 inches wide, I believe you’d definitely have some low light areas at the edges.

That said, I believe you could definitely do high light coral in the middle with no issues

I agree with @reefing102: enough light in the middle and shade on the edges.

With the light 7" off the water, the light spread is ~16". The spillage you'll get will be from reflection and refraction, it won't be direct.

Back