Cupermine in my DT

TanksDad13

Quick and dirty... the system - 120 gallon display (200 gallon system) is about 10 weeks old with a about 14 snails, 8 fish and a handful of "œtest coral". It is completely cycled, I have a growing pod population, params are in good shape.

What I did... I pulled the coral and snatched up as many of the snails as I could find. I dosed 20 ml cupermine to the DT this morning. I tested this afternoon and the copper did not show on the test.

Why... I just had a Kole tang die with flukes and now some others are scuffing and have signs of ich.

Questions...

1. can I run carbon, then poly-pad to remove the cupermine or am I hosed and need to remove sand and rock?

2. If I remove the sand and rock, can I give the rock an acid bath to dissolve any residual copper and re-use

Thanks in advance.

I suspect that the copper adsorbed onto the rock and sand fairly quickly, but it's hard to be sure.

Running CupraSorb and carbon might help with mopping up any leftover carbon, but I wouldn't put corals or other invertebrates back into the tank.

You could give the rock an acid bath at some point, if you want to reuse it, but I'd ditch the sand. It has too much surface area to be able to remove the copper in any practical way.

I suspect that the copper adsorbed onto the rock and sand fairly quickly, but it's hard to be sure.

Running CupraSorb and carbon might help with mopping up any leftover carbon, but I wouldn't put corals or other invertebrates back into the tank.

You could give the rock an acid bath at some point, if you want to reuse it, but I'd ditch the sand. It has too much surface area to be able to remove the copper in any practical way.

Thank you for the advice, guess I'll set up a tank to move the fish into and get after it... [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - Moving Day here too. After two months of tearing down, running poly-pads and rebuilding, I have move my fish back in.

86922d650b60834803ae2874ba4f1a31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back