Curious observation and now confused

awestruck

I have had a brilliant yellow sebae for 1 week. When the lights are off it is huge and when the lights are on it becomes much smaller. My lighting is pc so I cannot imagine it is getting too much light. BTW, it doesn't look like it's dying, it just becomes smaller. Any thoughts...? TIA

Yellow is not a natural color for a "sebae" anemone.

Quite a few new arrivals are light sensitive, can you post a picture?

It's yellow w/purple tips--this isn't natural? Oh dear... Sorry I cannot post a pic, don't have a digi. camera. However, any thoughts as to why it's larger after lights out vs. when the lights are on?

Yellow with purple tips tend to be indicators of a dyed H. crispa or H. malu. Is the column yellow/cream color or just cream colored?

Dye is not a healthy thing, unhealthy anemones have been known to be more sensitive to light. Some non clown hosting anemone species do open at night, but the odds of you having one are extremely slim based on your description.

At this point, provide it small meaty foods(mysis, chopped silversides) and screen it a bit from the lighting when they are on. Raising the light fixture a few inches or moving it a bit to the side away from the anemone may be sufficient.

Has the anemone attached itself to rock or buried the column in the sand?

The Anemone FAQ is a good initial care read as well:
http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Hi Scott, thanx for your response. The column is yellow/cream which leads me to believe that it is dyed. Oh that makes me mad. On a positive note it attached within 2 hours of being in my tank and has eaten well 2 different times in the past week. It looks healthy and is starting to stay "large" when the lights come on so maybe it is adjusting. Again, thanx for your help.

You are most welcome.

Be patient with it, provide it frequent small feedings, and it has a reasonable chance of recovery and return to health. Who can guess what color you will end up with, but it is great news that is attached and eats.

Good luck :)

Back