Curved Aquariums - Bad for Fish?

Well if its illegal, then I am wondering if they have any places like the Monterey Bay Aquarium, They have tons of tanks that are curved so people can see in them better and they have a large round tank, its the biggest roundest tank I have ever seen...
131687323_9a40862b48.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12043050#post12043050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmpearso
Well if its illegal, then I am wondering if they have any places like the Monterey Bay Aquarium, They have tons of tanks that are curved so people can see in them better and they have a large round tank, its the biggest roundest tank I have ever seen...
131687323_9a40862b48.jpg

those poor fish.

The Real purpose of the law was to stop people keeping goldfish in the traditional style unfiltered goldfish bowls that I think we all know are no good for keeping fish in.

The Real purpose of the law was to stop people keeping goldfish in the traditional style unfiltered goldfish bowls that I think we all know are no good for keeping fish in.

Now lets have this law directed to having in general VERY bad conditions for fish. I think we can all agree that a fish with a "distorted view of reality( even though that reality is a house with a human walking around ) " is a lot better off than a fish living in a domestic sess (sp?)pool.

Either way I think it is great government over there was some kind of care of fish. Imagine if our government could-( tackled and carried out into a speeding away FBI van)

Re: Curved Aquariums - Bad for Fish?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11333774#post11333774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grigorescu
I hope that this is the right place for this.

I just read an article in a Romanian newspaper discussing a new law where an owner of an aquarium with "spherical or curved sides" would be fined $100.

any chance you can get a link to a site that might have it even though it is in Romanian?

Oh brother !!
Some people really need to get outside for some freah air more often !!
What will they come up with next......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11333774#post11333774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grigorescu
I hope that this is the right place for this.

I just read an article in a Romanian newspaper discussing a new law where an owner of an aquarium with "spherical or curved sides" would be fined $100. It also said that the entire European Union has such a law in place. The reason cited by one of the voters is that "fish have problems with orientation." Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find either an English translation or a similar law in other countries.

I'm guessing they're worried that fish will run into a bowed side, as opposed to a straight side? Is this true? Anyone know of any similar restrictions or laws where they live?

I was just quite surprised, since I've never heard of this idea before. Most likely, it's just another case of lawmakers legislating what they don't know.

Interestingly enough, though, the law also stipulates that transporting a fish in a transparent container would incur the same fine. That one I've heard of (or at least the idea of covering the bottom of the container, so the fish doesn't get overly-stressed).

I think the law should be rewritten to state politicians should stop living in fish bowls becuase it gives THEM a distorted view of reality!!!

Your fish called, it can't find the lithium to help with it's distorted sense of reality. It will wait in it's bow front tank and watch a reality show for help.

Because keeping them in a tank in the first place dosnt give them a distorted view of reality? All i can really say is WOW.

In Romania you dont drive car, car drive you. (Not as funny now that i typed it )

I don't know about the fish, but I don't like looking through curved aquariums with thick panes, but maybe that is because I wear glasses.

Silly law when you compare it to other things we do to fish - I love to fish, but I am thinking dragging a fish through water with a hook is harder on them than being in curved tanks. And if you don't release them but take them home and eat them...

Agreed- I don't think the fish can come as close to how dizzy I get when I've stared to long at a curved front tank with my glasses on...:crazy1:

I don't think the entire EU has such a law, here's a rather large cylinder aquarium in Germany:

AquaDom.jpg
aquadom-00.jpg

I think that the law was designed to protect fish. That my friends is a good thing. In many countries such as the US no one is giving the least thought to fish. We should all work so hard to protect fish and other animals that enrich our lives so much. Rather we let them waste away in tanks and die, all for human satisfaction.

It also said that the entire European Union has such a law in place.

That's ridiculous. There is no such law in place here in the EU. At least not an international one.

Yes, it is that large. Its a cyclindrical tank at the Radisson SAS Hotel in Berlin-Mitte. 25 meters tall, about 900,000 liters... or 240,000 gallons.

aquadom_3858.jpg

aquadom-01.jpg

That is one awesome tank !!!!

(below) Our US politicians political "fish bowls" could use LARGE dosing of Lithium !!!
They are about 95% insane and corrupt !!!! :mad2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12593598#post12593598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by power boat jim
I think the law should be rewritten to state politicians should stop living in fish bowls becuase it gives THEM a distorted view of reality!!!

Back