Custom sump designs

K AVEYARD

Large systems tend to use large sump systems. if you could redesign anything on your sump........what would it be. not really wanting to debate sump no sump.....more looking for best design ideas on water entering sump.....placement of skimmer pick up....skimmer outlet......socks or mechanical filtration......media pickups......media outputs......

i am building a 800 plus gal system and have built a 200 gal sump..just looking for best practices from the get go.

So please show me what ya got and what ya would change in design.... if anything

I am posting this here cause 55 gal stock sumps are not what im asking about...BIG SUMPS W BIG PUMPS FOR BIG SYSTEMS PLEASE

My tank is a 4' x 8' x 24" tall 480G display.
Here is a link to my build thread which covers the tank for the last 15 years and is pretty current. It also covers the entire sump (before and after). There are also some LA Fish Guys videos of the sump install.

I had a 4' x 8' space below my tank to work within and I am very happy with the end results. I have 4 filter socks and it takes less than a minute to swap all 4. As you can see below, the sump and fuge are completely covered which keeps evaporation to a minimum. everything is easily accessible even though I only have 40" below the tank. All pumps and plumbing are on union ball valves so I can swap a pump in the blink of an eye.

Below is my sump/fuge setup before I put it in the tank. It's about 180G total. I can isolate/shut down the fuge for maintenance so I don't have to shut down the main sump, skimmer or return pump. Just shut a valve and the refugium is bypassed. .

These pictures where taken 2 or 3 years ago when I swapped out my old wet dry and pumps while the tank was full of fish and corals.

I designed and included my drawings to give you some ideas.

Sump on the left, fuge on the right. Total capacity is around 180G. Of the 2 pumps on the right, the one closest to the left (Dart) is a dedicated closed loop for the display. The pump on the right (Hammerhead) is the return pump. Both have been replaced with new Gold series versions. Note the 2" PVC line that runs from the sump on the left in front of the fuge. That is my bypass. It T's into the return pumps inlet so that when I close one valve off at the exit of the fuge, the water is removed directly from the sump on the left instead of from the fuge. It makes fuge maintenance a breeze.
Sump-and-fuge2.jpg

Both-Sumps.jpg

View of the Fuge.
IMG_0173.jpg

Shots of the sump
DSC00964.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

sumo-finished-2.jpg

Just after I put it in.
installed3.jpg

The drawing.
Both-sumps_web.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pictures.
114 watt UV is on a dedicated Dart Gold closed loop that draws from the rear of the tank and returns through the base of the overflow in the center of my tank and exits though a manifold that circles the overflow below the rocks keeping stuff from settling under the rocks.
Aqua-UV2.jpg

In this one you can see the pump and the one line that is used for bypassing the fuge.
photo.jpg

Reactors are mounted to the tank supports. Reactors are fed from a gated "T" that come from my Hammerhead Gold return pump. That same return pump also T's off to the garage 50' away where I have my chiller.
Reactor-manifold.jpg

reactors4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Custom 360 gallon sump for the 750 gallon display

Custom 360 gallon sump for the 750 gallon display

IMG_9714.jpg

Glad I built in the removable divider.

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

I say the bigger the better.

Plus it holds tons of toys!

Plus it holds tons of toys!

D7A887A6-5D82-4D5A-BEF4-07C7F68971BD-6047-000002E9AC56585D_zpsc24a9676.jpg

yes the ball and all the toys around it were all in the sump this morning... :uhoh3:

One Modification:

One Modification:

I will eventually fabricate a holder for 6 - 7" ringed filter socks for the drain section to the left...It is still working well so far:
01D9AB3E-B5EB-41F6-9008-F05B3759F9B7-4391-000001EC50636055_zps5c824586.jpg

0D9A8B72-2B3A-4582-B69D-BFE3B995CEF3-4391-000001EC67ADCED0_zps971232d1.jpg

BBA0E19A-0680-47AD-94AD-59755D953CF6-821-000000934D87C408_zpsf6fa4153.jpg

760FABC1-DEAB-4BC7-AFD8-E369FD7012AD-821-000000934FD427C5_zpsa074e0bb.jpg

Just the thread I need. Getting ready to do a 180 Gallon Sump. Its 6'x2'x2' Looking for some ideas as well.

Some great ideas so far. In the a perfect sump.....the "raw" water would go through the skimmer before going into a filter sock? Yes ? Than maybe the discharge from skimmer and any overflow from skimmer section would go to filter socks......i am using 2 biochurn 170 ints in the sump and i would want the discharge from the bio media reactor to be before the skimmer pick up as well.....good so far???

So after the socks i split the sump in 2 pieces. 3'x5' refuge. Question is should i put a valve on raw water to control flow and feed it raw water? Or feed the fuge water after the socks?

NEXT, WHAT AREA IS BEST FOR MEDIA REACTOR PICK UPS????AFTER SOCKS I WOULD ASSUME IS BEST TO HELP W CLOGGING....BUT THERE IS THAT ASSUME WORD.
ANOTHER QUESTION IS ON THE RAW WATER LINES.....I HAVE A "TON" of air and bubbles that enter from the DT upstairs.... not much at all from DT downstairs. ? is is it smarter to put gate valve under tanks......or just before the sump to help control air water mix on long fast moving runs?
all of this is just the beginning of an awesome set up sump if I fix the issues I have designed before and take the advise from you fellow reefers.....thank each of you for your input and suggestions. I value them all.

Ya know... I just had a 40g breeder crack...

I am in the process of rebuilding it.

I also plan on putting my old 120 back online and pipe it inline with the 180, More water and all.

With that I am going to put a new sump below it and pipe it ALL together.. 180+40 + 120+???

So I am looking for ideas too.

Back