cutting acrylic...

suprzman

hey everyone, quick question:
what is an efficient method for cutting acrylic accurately and quickly?
today i purchased some acrylic sheets for a baffle system in a sump i'm making. i was using a utility knife to score the sheets, and basically snapping the sheets. however, the scoring is taking quite a bit of time, and the snapping doesnt always happen cleanly. any suggestions?
thanks in advance,
Z.

You can go to your local Home depot, Lowes and they will cut it for you for free. Thast what I did since while scoring it you always dont make a straight line.

If you want to use the scoring method it will work best if you have a scoring blade. You can buy a scoring tool in the isle where you bought the plastic or you can get a scoring blade for a utility knife.

A table saw with a triple chip, negative hook blade would be the best.:)

A bandsaw works beautifully. Do you know any woodworking tool junkies ? I have used a tablesaw as well, but the bandsaw runs cooler and is much less likely to melt or chip the acrylic.

Matt

unfortunately i dont have any power saws at home i can use myself, but i guess i could go back to the home depot i bought the sheets from and have them cut it for me. while i'm there i'll check out the scoring blades too.
thanks for the info guys!
Z.

well... without a power saw your kinda out of options.

you can finish the edge nicely, nicer than a saw infact, with a router. but you may not have a router if you dont have a saw.

the score and snap technique seems underrated IMO. it gets some real straight lines done right. its not real quick, but quick doesnt always equal good.

yeah the score technique might be good, but definitely without scoring blades its not efficient. i'll have to check those out when i stop by home depot.
what is a router? i've never heard of that before.

its kinda like a dremel if youve heard of that.

basicly its just a big motor with a round frame that sits on the work surface. in the middle of the round frame is a bit. the bits come in various shapes and sizes for many different purposes. one such bit is a flush cut bit. its like a milling bit, it will cut through whatever and with the high RPMs it does so with a smooth result.

its not like a dremel in the fact that its much larger and much more powerful. dremel is for precision, routers are built to shave lots of material without slowing down.

lol See if they will cut it for you... If you dont have any powertools and the scoring isn't working for you thats you only other option

Back