CuzzA's 125 Gallon Full Cylinder Glass Office Build

And for the very observant out there, yes I'm aware of the screw in the skimmer body. Don't let me forget to fish that out. ;)

Rock and sand is in. :) I epoxied as many joints as possible to prevent an avalanche. It was super difficult because the eurobrace is huge and the overflow was in the way and it's 36 inches deep!!! I think it looks great though. I may add some tonga branch to the top. Time to fill'er up.

Thanks. It was not easy. Here's a layout of what I had to work with. The square is the eurobrace and the inner circle is the overflow. Again 36 inches deep. I don't get eurobracing. Just put a stainless steel rim on it !

Stopped in FAOIS today and picked up a few pieces of tonga branch. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I think it's going to look really good with a bunch of soft animate corals blowing in the current. Filling it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed, as always when you fill a large tank for the first time.

Great job. Looks amazing. Nice clean work with the equipment. Way could you not continue the rock higher, covering more of the overflow? Looks sweet none the less! This really makes me consider a cylinder as my next tank in the future.

Thank you. Yes these cylinders are pretty sweet and surprisingly they don't distort the objects. Well at least not yet, I'll see when I fill it up tomorrow.

It was tempting to go higher with rock. I likely would have done it if it weren't for the damn eurobrace. There was no way to build a pvc support structure so instead I placed the rocks and epoxied. Any higher and it was starting to get dangerous. Also, I wanted to leave a good amount of swimming room for the fish. I'll likely just attach corals to the overflow, but I thought about wrapping it with plastic gutter guard and epoxying rock rubble to it. That's still and option as I could easily slip it over the overflow.

Oh ya I get it. You would have very little access if it went higher. Yes it does seem like they could brace it with a round smaller strip. Oh well still looks great. The rubble idea could be cool. Id have to see it though. Good luck. Keep up the good work. Those are going to be some lucky kids!

Yeah I'd use a filter sock for sure.they do make a 4" diameter sock which is what I plan on using in my system. I would just train one of the staff to change the sock out every other day and make sure they have enough sock's to last about two weeks. I'm also glad to see you are going to add some live corals (even if it's just softies) I'd get a colt coral,shrooms,leather, etc.I love cylinder tanks.they just look so cool and you get that 360 degree view.

Awesom tank! Any updates? I'm thinking about buying one of these tanks and there's not much info out there. So, this is the 125gallon cylinder?

Thanks

Thank you. The tank has been cycling so not much to share. A pair of clowns will likely go in Friday. The tank and stand are very well built. The quality is top notch. For a reef tank I would probably look at the 100 gallon as it's shorter. The eurobrace, overflow and 36" depth make it very hard to work in. If you could convince them to do a stainless steel rim instead of the eurobrace I would spend the extra money. I would also use smaller rocks. Maybe even attach rocks to plastic gutter guard and slip it over the overflow. When the tank is full there is definitely some magnification which makes everything look bigger than it is. It's a challenging setup due to space. Fortunately I used a DC pump which has been great since I can easily dial back the turnover. The 20 high sump is like a river at full power and too turbulent. All in all though it's a really cool unique setup and I'm looking forward to seeing this reef mature. I'll be sure to update with more pictures as I start to add fish, coral and inverts. Also, the Tunze care magnet long works the curved glass flawlessly.

Sweet can't wait to see pics. I to would run filter socks. Id get the long ones. They have 2 different lengths. They will last a week. Im sure you could train someone to do it once a week. If you dont want to do that maybe putt a filter sponge on your return pump. Just some ideas

I was able to get a 7" filter bag in there. I had to make it work as the bubbles from the durso were too much for the bubble trap and created a lot of salt spray.

Water will be brought in. Surprisingly the ATO has lasted two weeks without the need to refill. However, I'll be adding exhaust fans today so that will likely change.

How did you get that 20H sump into the cabinet? Also, Do you think Maxspect Gyro will work on the overflow?How much sand did you use?

Thank you

The center brace uprights have one screw at the top and a peg on the bottom so they come right out giving you full access. A gyre would be perfect for this tank. Due to this system being commercial and the complexity of cleaning the gyre compared to a typical powerhead, I decided not to go that route. I used 40 lbs. of fiji pink.

The center brace uprights have one screw at the top and a peg on the bottom so they come right out giving you full access. A gyre would be perfect for this tank. Due to this system being commercial and the complexity of cleaning the gyre compared to a typical powerhead, I decided not to go that route. I used 40 lbs. of fiji pink.

Thanks for the info!

Hopefully you will have good long term luck with this system. I have been called out to a very nice couples home 2 times in 2 years because of leaking issues at seams. Both times tank replacement was necessary. We did not supply the system and the owner did all his own maintenance. We were just there for the emergency.

Back