CyclistMT's 150 Gal Plywood and Glass Build Log

CyclistMT

More Idiot Than Savant
For those of you that would rather skip the narrative (you know who you are) and look at the pretty pictures (although their probably not all that pretty since I don't have any pictures of animals yet) please scroll down to skip past these things called words. :p For the rest of you, as soon as everyone has boarded the Yellow Submarine we will begin our tour. Form a single line as you board and only one person per seat please...

107010yellowsubmarine.jpg

Well, I think I'm finally at a point where I can start detailing my build without having an interminable time between updates because my progress is so slow. First a little bit about my history. I had about three variations of a reef tank in the early 90's when the Berlin method was just becoming popular and it was sacrilegious to think about putting any sand on the bottom of a reef tank. (It's kind of interesting to see how long this debate has been around.) I was also scared to death when I finally decided to take my bio balls out of my wet dry for the first time. I think I tested for ammonia and nitrite four times a day for two weeks until I felt comfortable nothing was going to come crashing down. Keep in mind that I was truly on the cutting edge in my area when it came to these things. I was the manager of the most respected LFS in our city and I was conducting these "experiments" so that I could be more knowledgeable when speaking to our customers. I am truly amazed at how far this hobby has come since that time.

I achieved some moderate success with these tanks (all soft corals by the way as SPS was "impossible" to keep at the time.:)) As life would have it I fell out of the hobby for about a decade due to a growing family and other interests that competed for my attention. But three years ago I started to feel the itch again and began lurking on the Reef Central boards but didn't get real serious until about this time last year when I decided to jump in to the deep end of the lagoon with both feet. Ha, ha deep end of the lagoon, get it? That's a...little reef... humor. Funny, no? No, ok, back to the tour...

Because reef tanks can cost as much as a rap star's tricked out Denali I began to wonder how I was going to pull this off since I'm not very good at busting a rhyme. I decided that the first place I could shave some costs was with the tank itself. I decided to build a plywood and glass tank. I'm not going to go into detail on that process in this thread but the details can be found in this thread on the DIY board.

150g Glass and Plywood Aquarium

And here is a teaser pic to wet your appetite. Wet your appetite, I crack myself up… :D

107010Tank_2.jpg

I started construction of the tank around March 06 and finished the epoxy coating in July. By August the glass was in and it sat in my garage filled with water for 3 weeks before I deemed it more leak proof then geriatric rock star’s bladder. (I know, the music references are getting a little weak. I’ll try to do better.) During this whole time I was also working on the fish room…err closet. I had holes to cut in drywall, greenboard to hang, tape, mud, paint (These are the three things that I think they make people do for an eternity in hell as punishment. You can tell I really like to tape, mud, and paint can’t you?). I also had to run some wire for electrical before I hung the sheetrock and I tiled the floor to boot. I didn’t take any pictures during construction but if you don’t know what greenboard looks like at this point you should probably put the screw gun down and walk away from the project. Here is a pic of the completed fish closet with the tank in place but prior to plumbing. By the way, the tank is approximately 150 gals and outside dimensions are 48” long x 32” wide x 25.25” high (this gives me 24” internal height).

107010Plywood_Tank_and_Bike_042.jpg

The tank was installed in its final resting place in late October 06 and then began the process of plumbing. I’m not a stranger to plumbing projects either so this didn’t intimidate me but the end result is a little scary since all of my plumbing enters and exits the tank on one side. I did this because my area to work in is very small behind the tank and I wanted that space to comfortably work in the sump and in the tank on a ladder. Welcome To My Nightmare…

107010Plumbing_1.jpg

So far I have measured this project by two major hurdles, getting the tank constructed and getting water in the plumbed tank. Everything else was incidental to accomplishing those goals. I am happy to report that I had water flowing through the tank overflow before Christmas 06. Granted this was tap water so I was still a ways from adding salt but it felt very good to have hit this goal.

The first major piece of equipment I needed to purchase was an RO/DI unit. I figured it would probably have to wait a couple of months to get one seeing as it was just after Christmas and all but somehow I managed to get purchase approval from the Woman (AKA my wife and another music reference for those keeping track). I looked at several vendors, everyone one of them recommended by other forum members or sponsors here. I had a few criteria critical to selecting a unit. I wanted a 5 stage unit (1 sediment, 2 carbon stages, RO, DI), Filmtec membrane, pressure gauge, inline TDS meter, and RO flush. Any vendor can get you this set up but I was also looking at price. I didn’t want to spend over $250.00 on a unit. Ultimately I settled on the Ocean Reef +1 from the Filter Guys. It had everything I needed and ended up being just a bit cheaper then their closest competitor. I’ve got to tell you that I’m very impressed with this unit. The clear plastic housings are so thick the look like glass and everything is attached to a sturdy metal bracket. But I was even more impressed with the instructions included and the labels on the unit. As you have probably figured out by now I am not scared off by DIY so I would have had no trouble figuring out how to hook this thing up without any instructions. The only thing I really appreciate about a good product though is not having to struggle with it. Every input was clearly labeled, line water goes here, RO to DI here, wastewater over there, output water there. I’m telling you, it took me longer to find and attach a 2x4 to the wall to mount the unit to then it took to set the unit up. Here’s another picture for ADD crowd.

107010Misc_Pics_018.jpg

While I was testing with tap water I discovered a small problem. Water was getting under my sump. At first I thought it was splashing or siphoning over the edge because it was so slow in accumulating. But after reconfiguring my skimmer tray to handle a greater amount of water flow without having the water so close to the top, the water under the sump continued to accumulate. I knew something else was wrong. So I drained the sump and proceeded to figure out what the problem was. My sump is my old 75 gal tank and in the years it was in storage it managed to develop a crack on the bottom around one of the overflow holes. The crack was from the hole to the edge so it’s only about 2 inched long. To remedy this situation I had installed a second bottom inside the tank with ¼” glass. From my experience at the LFS (we custom made all of our own glass aquariums) I knew this wouldn’t be a problem. Don’t try this at home though kids as YMMV. The only problem was a chip on the side of the glass where the crack had developed was big enough that silicone alone did not provide an effective seal at that point. So, a small leak ensued. Luckily this chip was in the area of my bubble tower where the drains run into so there is lots of structural support around this leak area. All I needed to do was silicone another small piece of glass inside on the bottom to cover this flaw. Worked like a charm and I’m now leak free.

107010Misc_Pics_004.jpg

In this picture you can see how my sump is configured. Raw tank water is delivered to the skimmers first, dumps into the refugium area goes through baffles to clear bubbles, passes over mechanical and/or carbon filtration and then on to the returns. In the refugium I plan to have live rock rubble for pod production and Cheato for nutrient export. Once the fuge has some maturity I hope to try some sea grasses in there.

Once I had the water purity from the RO unit I felt I could add salt to the system since I would not likely be doing any full drains of the system again. I received my RO unit mid January and I’m happy to report that as of 2/3/07 I have fully recirculating salt water in my system. I know that seems like it took a long time to fill the tank but I only allow the RO to run when I was at home for fear of any mishaps when I wasn’t around. You can see in this picture that I still have some turbidity I’m trying to filter out. I’m sure it’s from the sand in the sump since there aren’t any bacteria to bind that small particulate to the substrate yet. Smoke On The Water anyone?

107010Full_Tank_Shot.jpg

I still have to have my dedicated electrical lines hooked up to my panel and that is happening yet in February. I plan on two 20 amp circuits and have the wires run. I can install my own outlets and switches but I draw the line at hooking up to the breaker box. I just don’t know enough about electrical work to feel confident about that so I’ve called in an electrician to hook me up.

Last edited:
You can see from the picture above that there is already sand and rock in the tank. This is another area I decided to cut some costs. Regarding the sand, it is silica based sand from Lowes. I’ve read countless posts, articles, and books on the subject and at this point I’m convinced that the supposed benefits from aragonite do not justify the excessive cost. I’m not going to debate the merits or drawbacks of silica vs. aragonite here as there are countless other posts that do just that. However, if I am proven wrong and the system implodes because I used silica based sand then I have no problem being humbled and admitting my mistake. Until then, I’ll remain Headstrong. I do have aragonite along with Mineral Mud in my refugium. I had the aragonite from my previous set up I thought the Mineral Mud would be good for the eventual sea grasses. Time will tell I suppose. The only think I did want in sand for the tank is to be a white as possible. I was having trouble finding something I liked until I came across this. It’s a little coarser then sugar so it’s very similar to oolitic in size.

10701020899quikrete.jpg

As for the rock, it is OysterCrete. What is OysterCrete you ask? Simple, it’s man made rock with Portland cement, crushed oyster shell, and sand. Again, lots of good posts on making your own rock so I’m not going into great detail here but will point you to one of the better threads out there.

The Ultimate DIY Rocks

My recipe was about 4 parts cement to 2 parts oyster shell and a bit of sand. Mix as dry as possible. This is critical for good void space. Any standing water in your mix and your rock will likely be too compacted. I did use some rock salt in the mix too to increase void space. Bottom line, this rock cost me less then $30.00 total to make. I’ve saved hundreds of dollars that can be dedicated to live stock purchases. I know it will take longer for the system to achieve stability this way but I’m in no rush. I have the Time.

Let’s talk about flow. I have gone back and forth about how to optimize the flow about a hundred times. Some things I know for certain, my return pumps are just that returns. They’re not meant to generate a great amount of flow in the tank. I will use a closed loop system. I really, really wanted to get away from powerheads in the tank with this build. Finally, I have always wanted to create a surge in my tank. While I’m still tweaking the design, below is a pic of my surge tanks. When I feel confident I have them dialed in I will post details about the set up.

107010Surge_006.jpg

I’ve read some interesting things about flow recently in these links.

Reef Tank Fluid Mechanics

Article on water flow and corals

If I understand the concepts presented correctly, they are suggesting that it may be more beneficial to create the right type of laminar flow in a tank that gets the whole mass of water moving. The aquascape would actually create random turbulence around the animals if this is done correctly. My aquascape in effect creates two channels and I figure with the right configuration I can alternate the direction of the water to simulate a tidal flow.

107010Misc_Pics_005.jpg

My thoughts are to use my return pumps (One effluent on the left and one on the right. The right one is not yet installed) as ocean current. This will get the water mass moving and keep it moving unidirectionally. I will then use my closed loop pump to simulate a tidal flow. Flowing out the left side for six hours and then the right for six hours. The closed loop out puts will come over the top of the tank and will be directed to get the water flowing in one direction for those six hours each side will move in an opposite direction in an attempt to simulate the tide moving in and then moving out. Finally, the closed loop pump will also feed my surge devices. Each device will operate on the same schedule as the tidal flow to try and simulate wave driven surges. I haven’t figured out exactly how I’m going to create these changing tidal flows every six hours with just one pump. I know motorized balls valves could be used but they are fairly expensive. I may try to see if an Oceans Motions device can be hooked up to a timer so that it only comes on long enough to move the drum into another position every six hours. I may be trying in vain to take very complex mechanisms (water flow around the reef that is) and simplifying their implementation in a tank. I’ll let you know how it goes. For what it’s worth I don’t like to measure flow in a tank by turnover. In my opinion that measure is only relevant when discussing flow as it relates to filtration. The best measure is in cm/sec although admittedly it’s much harder to measure specific velocities in a reef tank.

The next major and hopefully last hurdle I see before I feel the tank is ready for coral habitation is major equipment purchases. This one may take me into next year as I promised my wife that this take build would take minimal to no credit to complete. Cash in hand before making a purchase so this hurdle is all about the Money. So let’s talk about the equipment list. I’m not really looking for a critique of my choices here as I have spent hours pouring over these decisions and I’ve made them based on my knowledge of reef keeping and the particular needs of my build. These decisions might yet change up until the point of purchase especially if something new comes out that is clearly superior to any choice listed here. I know many people might disagree with some of these choices so let’s get one thing out of the way. It is MY opinion that many tanks today are over lighted and over skimmed. So I hope everyone will understand when I respectfully disagree that everyone needs a huge Deltec and/or 400 W metal halides to be successful. Although if you have had a negative experience with a particular product I would be open to that feedback. So here’s the plan:

3 Lumen Max 2 MH Reflectors
3 175W Iwasaki 15K lamps
3 175 W EVC Tech Electronic Ballast
4 36” VHO UVI Bulbs (Actinic or a combo of actinic and actinic/white)
1 IceCap VHO Ballast (Already own, don’t remember the model number at the moment)
2 Poseidon PS1 Return Pumps
1 Reeflo Snapper or Dart for Closed Loop
1 Oceans Motions Super Squirt (Still a bit up in the air on this one. See above for why.)
1 Aqua C EV180 Skimmer with Eheim 1262 Pump (Primary Skimmer)
1 Oceanic Model 6 Skimmer with Eheim 1250 Pump (Secondary Skimmer)
2 300w Titanium Heaters if needed (Brand undecided at the moment.)
1 Neptune Aquacontroler Jr. Controller w/DC8, DC4, and Aquanotes
1 Blueline Dimmable LED Moonlight (Unless Neptune’s new moonlight proves to be worthwhile.)
1 Aqualifter Pump for Kalk dosing
Various top off devices from Autotopoff.com to automate Kalk dosing and reservoir refill.
1 Penplax Silent Air 11 (For back up oxygenation of the water during a power failure.)
1 OceanReef + 1 RO/Di (Already own)
All necessary test kits (Brands undecided at the moment.)

Shall we discuss a bit? I know Lunenarcs would provide better coverage in my 32” wide tank but they are so big they would overhang my overflow and I could barely squeeze any actinic supplementation in. Mini Lumenarcs could work but they are still bulkier then the Lumen Max. I believe three Lumen Max with 175W bulbs would give me more flexibility with coral placement then two reflectors alone. I will also have room to run fluorescent supplementation in what ever configuration I choose. Maybe Sanjay will get the new Lumen Max tested before I make a purchase. The EVC Tech ballasts are a choice of cost. The do perform well on the Iwasaki bulbs and they are significantly cheaper the other options and come assembled in a ballast box. I chose Poseidon pumps knowing that they heat the water because I’m hoping to eliminate the need for a heater and remove the risk of malfunction entirely out of the system. If I do have to run a heater hopefully it will be for a minimal amount of time at night. If heaters have to run a lot, this is where electrical costs can really add up. Kalk will be dosed out of a large reservoir rather then a reactor and I will supplement with Randy’s two part and magnesium recipes as needed. Hopefully everything else is self explanatory but feel free to ask any clarifying questions you may have.

I have plenty of things to do while I slowly accumulate the equipment and wait for the rock and sand to mature. I still have to trim around the tank viewing windows, build my light rack, and install humidity control. I plan on using a Panasonic ventilation fan controlled by a humidistat. I still need to buy the fan/humidistat and install the ductwork. I’ll be sure to update this tread with pictures as I complete these tasks.

The good news is that now that I have salt in the tank, I can begin to add life even if it’s at the bottom of the food chain or is part of a clean up crew. I figure I’ll get about 10-20 lbs of live rock rubble to put in my fuge for pod habitat and to help seed the main tank with bacteria and whatever else might come in on it. Then add some pods and possibly detritivors and algae eaters (not fish at this point) as a clean up crew. The intent is that by the time I start to add corals and fish, hopefully many of my food webs will already be established. Yes, it will be some time before I will add corals but I’m in no rush.

Finally, I thought I’d leave you all with a list of some of my favorite threads. Many of these either influenced some of the decisions I made, provided concept ideas for my own build, or were just similar in nature to my build so I wanted to follow along with their progress. Hope you enjoy them.

150 Gal Aquarium Bulid

Simple 156 Reef Bulid

Aqua C Club

Raw Basement = Fish Rm + In-Wall + 180g system

120 Gal Set Up Has Begun

Show Me Your Pillars

Water Flow

Best Aquascaping Designs

Formal Tank Room Shots

For those of you that made it this far along with me I applaud your stamina because this post has gotten about as long as the album version of In-A-Godda-Da-Vida and is threatening to Pull Me Under. Thanks for taking the time to look and be sure to subscribe to the thread if you want to continue to follow along. I will continue to update as I make progress and answer any questions you may have.

This concludes today’s tour. Please remain seated until the vehicle comes to a full and complete stop. The exit will take you directly to Abby Road but be sure to stop by the gift shop before you leave to purchase your very own Aqualung.
:fish1:

Last edited:
It is good to see that U R progressing your project. I like what U have done. Keep it up.

Bill.

Thanks Treefer. BTW, I think your cologne idea has already been tried. It's call patchouli right? :D

Bill, glad to have you along. Have you decided to build a plywood tank yet?

Great thread, great build. I am eager to see how you perfect your surge devices. I have been thinking of putting these on my 120 I am putting together. Also, thanks for putting together a nice collection of links. Great concepts and ideas at my finger tips!
Anxious to see your progress.
Jim

Hey CyclistMT! Great build, and thanks for linking my thread. And youre wordier than myself, for which I must say kudos!

Some constructive thoughts, however. I wouldnt say that the AquaC 180 is a bad skimmer, but are you already sold on it? I have an EV120 on my 58 gallon right now, and its "adequate". I chose a Euro-Reef CS250 for the upgrade, and I've got it running on the rock curing tank right now. I much prefer it, as I find it easier to fine tune, and it only uses 53watts at my house (that ehiem pump is rated at 80, which isnt that big of a difference). Just a thought!

Also, with the AC JR. Are you planning on using the ethernet applications? I've got the AC3, and it has all that stuff built into it so you don't have to buy aquanotes and you don't have to have your computer on to act as a server. If you arent too curious about those features, then I'm sure the AC JR will be plenty. I really enjoy the controller.

Anyways, great to see your progress. I think I'll be able to pick up my tank finally this weekend, so one day I might be able to put water in it!

Maybe it is lost somewhere in the plethera of words above, but did you even mention what you're planning on keeping in the tank? Is it mostly stony corals, softies, an enormous sea horse tank?

Glad you found the thread crvz!

Some constructive thoughts, however. I wouldnt say that the AquaC 180 is a bad skimmer, but are you already sold on it? I have an EV120 on my 58 gallon right now, and its "adequate". I chose a Euro-Reef CS250 for the upgrade, and I've got it running on the rock curing tank right now. I much prefer it, as I find it easier to fine tune, and it only uses 53watts at my house (that ehiem pump is rated at 80, which isnt that big of a difference). Just a thought!
I always welcome constructive thoughts! What pump are you running on the EV120? From what I've read, it's important to stick at the top end of the recommended range or above to get decent performance. That's why I'm pairing the EV180 with the 1262. That pump seems to be perfectly matched to it. I wouldn't say I'm sold on it because I haven't bought it yet but I did design the skimmer area of my sump to accomodate it.

I considered the Euro-Reef but it came down to an issue of cost for me. If I'm looking at the right one, the CS250 can be had for just over $700.00. The EV180 with an Eheim 1262 can be found for $470.00. Electrical cost is a concern of mine as we've discussed in your thread but I have great confidence in the Eheim products as I've used many of them before. I'm willing to trade that peace of mind for a few pennies on the electric bill. Back to the tradeoffs I mentioned in your thread huh? :)

As for the ACjr it' s a cost issue there too. With everything I want I'm looking at just over $500.00. It looks like I would still need Aquanotes with the AC3 if i want to log, graph, and keep track of historical paramaters on the tank. I may have to take another look at the AC3 though.

Enormous sea horse tank, hmm..... I cound have a whole corral in there huh? :D Serriously though, I did not indicate a stocking list yet. I figured I'd save that for another post as I haven't fully decided on everything yet but there are a few "must haves" on my list. It will be a "garden" reef so it will include softies, LPS, and SPS. I really like Montipora caps so I'm sure a few colorful ones will find there way in there. I definitely want to have a birdsnest in there too. As for other SPS, not completely decided yet. I've always wanted a yellow toadstool leather so that will find a place of prominence in the tank. Mushrooms, Rics, and a couple clams as well. I'll post a more definitive list in the future.

I'm running the Mag 5 on the EV120, which i think should be enough, but maybe it isnt. I've contemplated upgrading to a Mag 7, but everytime i find one used on the local club i'm too late (and I don't want to pay full price for one that I'm only using short term).

As for the CS250, you're right, those are pricey (i got mine from marinedepot when they cleared out the CS line for 500 even). But, the RS250 is the same skimmer with just a different acrylic and its only $480. But, if you've already designed the sump, you're probably already committed to the AquaC!

The AC3 has all the stuff built into it for logging and graphing, and I use it all the time (it's nice to check it from work or out of town). But, it only has around 1000 data points for storage, and it wipes out if the power goes off or you reset it. So, it may not be very historical. The only real benefit is that you don't need a computer to act as a server, but if you've a computer handy and online all the time, then thats not a problem either.

Anyways, you're definitely making sound choices (as though you need someone to tell you that), and it's really just nit-picky preferences at this point. I'm looking forward to your stocking list, and if ever you're driving through Houston (which should be frequently, no?), let me know and I'll get you some birdsnest or monti caps!

By the way, JimmyK, thanks for the comments. What kind of MTN biking do you do? Downhill, cross country, or just generally shredding the Pacific Northwest rain forests?

crzv
I'm looking forward to your stocking list, and if ever you're driving through Houston (which should be frequently, no?), let me know and I'll get you some birdsnest or monti caps!
Thanks for the offer man it's really appreciated. Unfortunately, the closest I get to Houston is my annual trip to Dallas for the IEX Users Conference. :(

The only real benefit is that you don't need a computer to act as a server, but if you've a computer handy and online all the time, then thats not a problem either.

I have four computers that run 24/7 and one is my dedicated server so I am set up for constant data logging. Yes, I have no life...;)

Hey cyclistMT,
With a two year old most of the biking I have done lately is pulling a baby carrier on the streets. I love to hit some easy to medium single track and will hit it much more this summer. I have some friends that are into cycle cross but I don't have the skills for that. Great fun to watch though!
I see that you are feeding your surge tanks from your CL. Just using some gate valves and teeing off? What are your concerns and how are you dealing with the bubbles? It looks like you are using the flush approach.
Thanks again,
Jim

Jim, I hear ya about having young kids. My youngest is now 4 and I'm hoping I can get back some of the riding time I've lost over the past few years. I haven't hit any decent singletrack in probably 3 years and I've gained the weight to prove it. :rolleyes: My 12 year old son and I started road riding together a couple of years ago and I hope he's up for a lot more this summer. I'm ready to hit the pavement and dirt hard this year.

Yes, the plan is to run my surges off the closed loop with valves to control the flow. I've been testing them with a pump in the sump for now as I don't have the closed loop pump yet. I was hoping to eliminate bubbles with the type of flush device I used and I think I would have but I didn't position the containers so that water would be constantly filled in the effluent pipe. I'll explain in more detail later but suffice it to say that I don't believe the flush device I used induces air into the surge. The air is incidental to the way I plumbed it. That said, the bubbles aren't too bad and clear very quickly. Maybe I'll get a chance to play with it this weekend and get some pictures up for everybody to show the design and what the bubbles look like.

Great thread. I would very much like to do a plywood/starfire tank in the near future. Do you have more detail of the actual tank build or reference to info I could look at. I have found some but it is very brief.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9201447#post9201447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
Great thread. I would very much like to do a plywood/starfire tank in the near future. Do you have more detail of the actual tank build or reference to info I could look at. I have found some but it is very brief.

Yes I do have more detail on the tank build itself and was included in a link in the main post above. Here it is again and you will find addtional links to wood tank builds in that thread. Good luck!

150 Glass and Plywood Aquarium

Nice to see someone else from Montana (I just moved from Billings to Missoula/Hamilton).

What a great looking tank so far. Any new updates?

Coming soon to a forum near you! The summer blockbuster that’s sure to have everyone talking!

Yellow Submarine Part Deux

Back