Damn You phosphates!!!

okay so i tested
tap 709
ro 104
so that is an 85% reduction in TDS. not as bad as i was thinking it would be. I went two years without replacing any of the filters.
with more frequent prefilter replacement, the membrane should last far longer.

If your membrane was in good shape and you had high pressure, you should see a significantly higher rejection rate...

Russ

sorry that is my old membrane. i will post test results from my new membrane when i get it in a couple of days.

i don't have a gauge on my ro/di unit, but when i was putting in my sprinkler system i remember my water pressure at the house was 90 psi.

at a 98% reduction, i should be at or around 14 tds going to the ro/di.

well i got my new membrane, and the tds was 55 after ro. bummer i was expecting way less. the membrane was a direct replacement model. the dow filmtec 75 gpd membrane.

i forgot to mention, but the first reading i got was 89, 74, then constantly 54-55 the next three. so maybe it will go down after a while.

okay so i finally got around to getting my pressure guage and dual tds meter ordered and installed. i have been burning through DI resin and it was bumming me out. so the pressure going into the unit is ~90 and the pressure going to the membrane is ~60-70.

with my tds meter installed, the ro water was reading at 5 and after di it was 1.

so i haven't replaced my pre filter yet, but will my prefilter and DI before i make my next batch of water.

okay so i finally got around to getting my pressure guage and dual tds meter ordered and installed. i have been burning through DI resin and it was bumming me out. so the pressure going into the unit is ~90 and the pressure going to the membrane is ~60-70.

with my tds meter installed, the ro water was reading at 5 and after di it was 1.

so i haven't replaced my pre filter yet, but will my prefilter and DI before i make my next batch of water.
Great! Probably exhausted the DI and that is why you are still getting 1. Where did you get the filters and gauges?

Jay

i just got them at BRS...now that i re-read the thread i guess i should have bought at BFS since russ was so nice to give all that information.

Yes - sounds like your prefilters are really clogged. With the high TDS of your feedwater, you won't see normal rejection rates with normal pressure.

If it helps ill order mine from bfs tomorrow :)

+1!

Hey Russ, can you quote me a DI container, resin, TDS meter and pressure gauge? I already have the RO system. My biggest fear is now that I have read your post, I may not have sufficient pressure for the RO. I don't want to get a pump for it costing me mula! :)
Thanks!

If it helps ill order mine from bfs tomorrow :)
+1 Sorry, I was going to email you but might as well ask here!

Russ, I want to order this filter kit, BFS-379 Filter Kit - Chloramine Special RODI, from you but need to make sure I have everything to use this in my system.

"œThis kit includes the same filters which are supplied with new Chloramine Special RODI systems. Includes one 1 micron sediment filter, one catalytic GAC refill, one 0.5 micron carbon block, and one color-changing DI resin refill. All cartridges measure 10" x 2.5" (nominal)."

The GAC and DI resin are refills? What else do I need to use them? I'm afraid that I won't have a cartridge to refill since I did not buy the unit from you. Thanks for the help!!

Jay

Russ, I want to order this filter kit, BFS-379 Filter Kit - Chloramine Special RODI, from you but need to make sure I have everything to use this in my system.

"œThis kit includes the same filters which are supplied with new Chloramine Special RODI systems. Includes one 1 micron sediment filter, one catalytic GAC refill, one 0.5 micron carbon block, and one color-changing DI resin refill. All cartridges measure 10" x 2.5" (nominal)."

The GAC and DI resin are refills? What else do I need to use them? I'm afraid that I won't have a cartridge to refill since I did not buy the unit from you. Thanks for the help!!

Jay

Hi Jay - both the catalytic GAC and the DI use the same refillable cartridge:

_MG_4783-1-1.jpg

that comes as standard equipment on our new systems. If your current cartridges aren't refillable, then you could get a DI cart and a CGAC cart (or second carbon block), and then next time you would just need the refill media.

Russ

okay why are you using the chloramine filters? i know steffen is also, but i am pretty sure that our municipalities only use chlorine. Am i mistaken? i have been using the standard filters.

okay why are you using the chloramine filters? i know steffen is also, but i am pretty sure that our municipalities only use chlorine. Am i mistaken? i have been using the standard filters.

What's the name of your water utility? I'll look it up for you.

Russ

Back