Deep dimension tank owners

I have a 92g corner bowfront.. Its 4 feet point to point. getting narrower of course, but its always 36 inches front to back.. I love that tank and TBH i wish i could do my reef in that but sadly my mom took the tank for herself and he ugly jack dempsy and angelfish and silver dollars lol.

So i have to use my hexagon, but this 60g hexagon is still deep as well, nearly 30 inches point to point on all 6 points.. Thats pretty girthy for a short tank..

Mine's over five years old now, and I've cycled through a handful of "reefs" in it so far - pulling and fragging old colonies and growing out new ones. In the middle of the next generation grow out.

I still love the water depth and the front-to-back depth of these aquariums. They've provided me with the space I like work with (for the past few years at least) with space enough for colony grow out and fish to swim.
Cheers,
Ray

How do you like them?

I'm thinking about my large tank build and thinking of going deep dimension.

Just looking for some insight.

EDIT: I Fell in the trap of responding without looking at dates. I always told myself I would not be "that guy"! :) Leaving my reply below for anyone in the future who is thinking on getting a DD.

----

Based upon personal experience I would not recommend any large tanks from Marineland. I purchased a 300g DD in 2014. I read about some tanks failing in the past but thought the quality control issues were fixed. I did not inspect the seams when I purchased mine. My mistake. I ran my tank for the last 4 years. I randomly saw a video or post about a deep dimension failing due to bubbles in the seams. I decided to inspect mine and it had bubbles all over. I immediately replaced it with a custom acrylic of the same dimensions.

Once my tank dried out in my garage, I could see another bubble (not visible when wet) that had expanded to the size of a quarter and went from the water side of the tank to within 1mm of the dry edge. The water had penetrated the bubble. The tank was at imminent risk of failure. Thankfully I was lucky enough to get it out in time.

Had the tank failed, it would have destroyed my wood floor, my leather couch and obviously all my fish and coral. Had my wife or son been near it when the glass popped.....

So, if you do decided to purchase a Marineland Deep Dimension, inspect ALL the seams carefully and do not purchase if there are ANY bubbles. People will say that they've had bubbles for years and had no issue. That may be true. But a well built tank will have no bubbles. Bubbles can and do cause tank failures. If you look at any of the high end glass tanks, the seams will be perfect with no bubbles.

I can't sell my tank in its current condition, so I'm forced to give it away for free to someone who's willing to take the chance at reseaming it. $2600 learning experience.

Last edited:
Zalick,
you should offer it as a large terrarium to someone.. that's what I plan on doing with mine.

I had a custom order center over flow 3 sided starfire glass mainland 300DD have a seam that after running for 8 years was showing signs of stress that seemed to be growing. I watched it for a few months and one day it started sweating in that area. I pulled the plug- removing everything, sold off all livestock and drained it. It's still sitting empty on the stand since the summer... :(

I'll be getting another large tank over the coming summer
not going with Mainland again.

Back