Desjardini salfin tang opinions

nathan1986

Looking to add another fish to the tank. Was going to add a yellow tang but the gf said to maybe pick something with a different color because i already have a foxface. We both like the desjardini salfin and ive read that they can be easier to care for than the yellow tang. I was curious if anyone had any inputs on this fish before we pulled the trigger. Planning on going to faois this weekend, no idea if they have one or not. thanks in advance, nathan

Howd i miss it? I ususlly spend quite some time looking at your tank while im over lol are they somewhat easy to find?

Mine is just a sailfin and I picked it up from faois they always seem to have a few sailfins when I go there.

A good fish, mine is a little bossy but she is becoming the largest fish in the tank so I suppose that's expected. Other than that no complaints. Dont think you can really go wrong with this choice.

Mine I actually purchased at the size of a quarter and raised him up to the size of a grapefruit before I had to trade him in.

I know there used to be one at a local fish store that liked to be pet with a turkey baster.

A good fish, mine is a little bossy but she is becoming the largest fish in the tank so I suppose that's expected. Other than that no complaints. Dont think you can really go wrong with this choice.

Identical situation here.
Great fish.

Looking to add another fish to the tank. Was going to add a yellow tang but the gf said to maybe pick something with a different color because i already have a foxface. We both like the desjardini salfin and ive read that they can be easier to care for than the yellow tang. I was curious if anyone had any inputs on this fish before we pulled the trigger. Planning on going to faois this weekend, no idea if they have one or not. thanks in advance, nathan

What size tank? They are pretty easy to care for, but get massive quickly.

I have a kole tang and added a red sea sailfin. Usually if the body size is about the same the size and shape of the sail will keep them from fighting. But the kole went after the sailfin. He got a few cuts and stood up for himself. Now they get along fine.
They will stand up for themselves.

tank is a 120g. by the time he is too large for the tank ill already have an upgraded tank set up. im probably one of the few that actually upgrade to accommodate the fish's needs. and thanks for the input on this fish. im looking forward to adding him to the tank. shopping starts tomorrow!!

Ended up getting a regular pacific sailfin. The desjardini was becoming impossible to find locally and was only able to find them online, but then i factored in what if its mis identified. So me and the gf picked out a really nice looking sailfin at faois. A nice small one too, i like watching the fish grow up.

Ended up getting a regular pacific sailfin. The desjardini was becoming impossible to find locally and was only able to find them online, but then i factored in what if its mis identified. So me and the gf picked out a really nice looking sailfin at faois. A nice small one too, i like watching the fish grow up.

Glad to hear I got mine there and he's doing good ...I have had mine for 3 years and he was in the small category and is still on the small to medium size range so I believe you will have many years together .I'm not sure if John still has the huge sailfin in the live rock holding tank it's been a few months since I have been there I'm usally only off on Sunday's so it hard to get up there

Yes he still has that big one. Its from Indonesia i believe. Similar to the Pacific one. The sailfin is already swimming around with the foxface picking at the rock. Put some nori in there but he doesnt seem interested yet

Back