Dialup beware #2 tank pictures

Mucho,
My long time friend the rock is curing for the new set up please give me a ring, and the number is still the same. If not PM me yours. good luck.
PL

Welcome back Geoxman.

just got back in myself- your welcome to whatever I have growing, when you get back up. Its not alot yet.....but....

Some awesome colonies here, though I am ashamed to admit how long it took me to figure out why the title was dial up beware lol.

Wow I've never seen a tank like this. It's nice that you can just lean rocks up against the side since the viewpoint is from the top. Did you grow those out or buy them as colonies? Great job!

We've seen hundreds of tanks like this before 2006. With each year since that time you see less. In fact, you see very few. Today, most everything is about trading frag after frag or fragging your frags and never just letting them grow. Now you mostly see curio cabinets with lined up frags, frag tanks and mini reefs with dozens of glued plugs 1 to 2 inches from each other which is something you should never do. There are still tanks like Geoxman's tank, you'll find one each month as RC's TOTM. There was a time when dozens of reefers like Geo was here in this forum guiding, helping and mentoring younger reefers who would listen, learn and benefit from from these great pioneers.

Also, it's the reason why the photo sticky above is full of frag pictures, while the threads asking for postings of mother colonies are virtually empty. Believe it or not, there was a time when it was completely the opposite.

MUCHO REEF

Last edited:
Man I am sad to see no update yet! At least tell us what's going on, have you got the tank up? Collecting yet?
I am curious as to how you will choose your polyps, and any info on the new tank would be great.

I spoke to Geoxman the other day and I will let him speak for himself, but pressuring him for an update isn't going to work. He'll post something when he can and no need to be sad bro.

Mooch

saw this post by mucho and thought there might be some action - miss the old crew sometimes - much and geo used to drum up some good threads. I rarely sign on anymore, but its good to see some familiar names popping up.

One of these days I'll toss out my sticks and give a tank like this a try. Really love how much real estate gets filled up by corals this way! I supposed you can do it with sticks, but I don't have the time to keep my tank at that high of quality for it to happen - I do have some sizable colonies at least!

saw this post by mucho and thought there might be some action - miss the old crew sometimes - much and geo used to drum up some good threads. I rarely sign on anymore, but its good to see some familiar names popping up.

One of these days I'll toss out my sticks and give a tank like this a try. Really love how much real estate gets filled up by corals this way! I supposed you can do it with sticks, but I don't have the time to keep my tank at that high of quality for it to happen - I do have some sizable colonies at least!

Kawicivic, wow, long time man. How have you been?

Indeed, we use to actually have many great conversations and reef related discussions here back then which lasted for weeks and months. I too seldom if ever post here anymore. I see one or two of the OGs here every blue moon. Geo is good and will post soon.

How's the tank?

Good hearing from you bro.

Mooch

The tank is on cruise control, not too great looking, but hanging in there. The fish get fed, the corals grow (slow and steadily) and I try not to kill things. Occasionally, I get serious and do lots of maintenance on it and things perk up, but then life gets in the way. Mainly just holding onto everything because I would be too sad to sell it. It is a comfort thing - I don't look in it often, but when I do, it still makes me happy even with algae! The cycles of life!

One of these days I went to do a serious mushroom experiment, but can't give up on my sticks that have been with me for years now. With mushrooms would come zoos I'm sure. I went through a phase a couple years ago trying to grow out some of the expensive ones people keep selling, but they are just so fussy because of the lack of support for the corals - one little polyp doesn't have a lot of resiliency!

Making a comeback. Started curing the rock last week. Long away from where I was before, but all masterpieces must have a beginning. The new tank being built is 48X48 a little bigger than the last and also all black o the sides. I purchased multiple LED lights this time VS the MH of past. Skimmer still seems up too par...and pumps still fire up so everything fine there. I will be using the old sump but will build a new stand because of the new tank size. I am a few years away from where I was in the past but looking forward to keeping everyone posted on the journey. Mucho my old friend please call or PM as I lost your number. looking forward to hearing from my old MI friend and the number is the same. good luck everyone!! and this will be one of the best ever!!

Back