Difference in ATI Sunpower and ATI Powermodule?

steveojak

I was wondering what is the difference between these two fixtures as far as output, etc.

Sunpower: http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=ATI-3011&Category_Code=ATIt5

Powermodule: http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=ATI-2025&Category_Code=ATIt5

I was planning on putting one on my 55g Reef to be. If anyone has another suggestion I'd greatly appreciate it as far as using a different model of t-5 fixture for my reef (so I can house sps throughout)

There's not much difference in output. The PM has more fans than the SP and the reflectors are a different shape. The biggest difference seems to be the price. Here's a quote by Premium Aquatics and their testing:

"From the testing we have done so far the ATI Sunpower 6 x 54w is producing right at 20% - 25% more par than the Tek Light Elite 6 x 54w, in a 48" x 18" area. Going outside of the 18" area (tanks tanks that are 24" - 36" front to back) the Elite starts to climb up in par, and eventually surpassing that of the ATI Sunpower.

We have been in communication with Sunlight Supply for the last couple of days in regards to this, and they are considering looking at a new reflector for the Elite which will give more par straight down like the Sunpower does, but less in the far outer reaches of the tank. This would give the hobbyist two options, depending upon the footprint of the system.

I also tested an ATI Powermodule 6 x 54w and noticed less than 2% lighting increase from the ATI Sunpower.

All tests were performed at 19.5" through air only, using only brand new ATI Blue Plus lamps in the fixtures. Test numbers were taken after 90 minutes of run time on all fixtures to allow them to get up to full temperature."

Sunpower is lighter and better looking in my opinion. I would never buy a powermodule over a sunpower if I was buying a fixture 6 bulbs or less.

I have had both and liked the sunpower better. Jeremy at premium aquatics tested the sunpower and powermodlue and the diff in par was only 2%

For a 55 I would get a 6 bulb sunpower. A 4 bulb would work fine but 6 would future proof it a bit as it would work on a 75 or 90 when you decide to upgrade :)

The reason I like the sunpower better is that they are much lighter when moving it around, the reflectors are screwed down and don't move around. In the powermodule they can slide a bit and block the cooling vents which damages the ballasts (happened to me). I also think the splash sheild is easier to remove when changing bulbs and lastly, if you ever do need to work on something like changing a ballast the sunpower is way easier to work on.

Back