Differences in Deco/Boat Run and Live Base Rock

ducker

Hello Richard
I love your rock. I'm currently setting up a 65g reef tank. I'm on a rather tight budget, so I'm taking things rather slow, and not rushing in to anything. (as opposed to many reefers who are on a tight budget

I would LOVE to be able to purchase your package for my tank but that just isn't feasable for me :(

I would be adding TBS rock to an empty tank.
I'm trying to figure out which type of rock would be best for my situation (a system starting up slowly)

I assume that if I purchased the Coral Rock, I would most likely lose life due to limited bio filtration (sand bed just establishing itself)

So, I'm looking at possibly picking up either Deco, Live Base Rock, or Boat Run. Approx 30# of it. I'm not really sure if there is much "on" the Live Base rock vs. the Deco/Boat run. Perhaps Live Base rock is just seed rock that hasn't been down as long as the Deco/Boat Run samples???

My plan is to have some 80+lbs of base calcium-carbonate rock. and then round out the rock with Live rock.

I do not plan on adding many inverts/fish to the system for quite some time 3-6 months, allowing the actual organisms to develope and thrive.

Which of those rocks would be the best for my situation? (giving me a nice bio diversity I wouldn't be able to find from Fiji/tonga/etc)

Thanks in advance, and I look forward in doing business with you Richard.

Re: Differences in Deco/Boat Run and Live Base Rock

ducker said:
See below!

Hello Richard
I love your rock. I'm currently setting up a 65g reef tank. I'm on a rather tight budget, so I'm taking things rather slow, and not rushing in to anything. (as opposed to many reefers who are on a tight budget

I would LOVE to be able to purchase your package for my tank but that just isn't feasable for me :(

I would be adding TBS rock to an empty tank.
I'm trying to figure out which type of rock would be best for my situation (a system starting up slowly)

I assume that if I purchased the Coral Rock, I would most likely lose life due to limited bio filtration (sand bed just establishing itself)

No it will be fine if you maintain water quality..

So, I'm looking at possibly picking up either Deco, Live Base Rock, or Boat Run. Approx 30# of it. I'm not really sure if there is much "on" the Live Base rock vs. the Deco/Boat run. Perhaps Live Base rock is just seed rock that hasn't been down as long as the Deco/Boat Run samples???

Boat run is a mix of Deco and Coral rock...

Base rock is just that base, no life

My plan is to have some 80+lbs of base calcium-carbonate rock. and then round out the rock with Live rock.

I do not plan on adding many inverts/fish to the system for quite some time 3-6 months, allowing the actual organisms to develope and thrive.

Which of those rocks would be the best for my situation? (giving me a nice bio diversity I wouldn't be able to find from Fiji/tonga/etc)

Boat run, will get you some of both...

Thanks in advance, and I look forward in doing business with you Richard.

No problem that is what we are here for!

Off to the dentist, two root canals and caps today, OH_BOY can't wait!!

Thanks
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :rollface:

Ouch... brutal... I've had one and now can't stand the dentist at all...

Thanks for the reply.

Has Base Live Rock been submerged at all?

ducker said:
Ouch... brutal... I've had one and now can't stand the dentist at all...

Thanks for the reply.

Has Base Live Rock been submerged at all?

Yes is rock we cultured, just not up to our high standards to ship as deco or coral rock, don't get me wrong there is some life on it but we tell customers no life as not to raise expectations!

Thanks
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
:rollface:

Beautiful! Thanks for the clarification. The next time I'll touch base with you will be via your website to put in a purchase!!! :)

(once I get the sump in place and functioning, as well as my pump/SCWD, and the hood retrofitted with lights)

ducker said:
Beautiful! Thanks for the clarification. The next time I'll touch base with you will be via your website to put in a purchase!!! :)

(once I get the sump in place and functioning, as well as my pump/SCWD, and the hood retrofitted with lights)

Back from the dentist.....only 2 hours can you say nitrous ?

heh not looking forward to my trip... need 3 wisdom teeth pulled because one has a cavety... and "Well it's too far back to work on so we'll just pull it... Oh and we'll pull the other 2 out while we're extracting teeth, since you don't really need them"

I'm just happy none are impacted, and I only have 3 not 4!!! needless to say I've put this procedure off about 16 months... perhaps I should make a call... na, I'll continue Planning my tank...

Figure I buy 30# of boat run rock... If it is to be shipped with water, will the weight of the total package still be under 100#? (figuring on having it flown here; thankfuly I'm on the east coast!)

ok... last question :)

About how many # of rock can you ship (submerged) having a total weight of right around #100?

Back