Discovery Online Video

The footage of the G. chiragra was shot about 5 years ago in my lab. The interviews with Shiela Patek are a couple of years old. The interesting thing here is that we no longer consider the meral saddle as the primary component that stores the energy for the stike. In fact, we are not sure what it does.

Roy

If not the meral saddle,....then what actually stores the energy for the strike??? Didn't the nature paper you guys published establish this fact??

The Nature paper presented a model of how the system worked, but did not specifically test it. We have submitted a massive paper to JEB that includes CT scans that shows that the saddle is not the primary storage cite. It may play a role, possibly as a shock absorber.

Roy

my bad - I wan't being patinent enough for the vid to load - That was very cool -

What is that in the specimen jar to the left of Sheila during the interview?

Yes, we have identified the structures involved, but I really can't discuss what they are until the paper is published. Hopefully that will be later this summer.

The specimen next to Sheila is a large Lysiosquillina maculata from Hawaii. It is a very large male about 35 cm.

Roy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9847360#post9847360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gonodactylus
The Nature paper presented a model of how the system worked, but did not specifically test it. We have submitted a massive paper to JEB that includes CT scans that shows that the saddle is not the primary storage cite. It may play a role, possibly as a shock absorber.

Roy

What kind of CT scanner did you guys use. I operate a 64 channel Philips. With the capability of doing slices at increments of .5mm, and three dimensional reconstructions. We are also in te process of upgrading to a 128 channel soon.

Back