Display macroalgae question

Fsarmien

Hi I happen to become interested in macroalgae for my tank. I was wondering what kind of display macros do you guys have? Can you guys recommend me some macros that looks good a display tank.

Do you have tangs, rabbits or Drawf Angels? What size tank do you have? When you answer those two questions, I will link you some stuff.

I don't have any kind of fish that eat macros. And I have a 34g red sea max. Do you have any sites that sell macros? Thanks for the help.

P.S If anyone sells macros I'm definitely interested!

Lareefs.com has a large selection of macros and some rarer varieties, too. On the downside, they are overpriced, considering the size of the product (frag-sized). Live-plants.com has a very nice selection as well, and are much more affordable (same price as lareefs, but instead of a frag you get a pint). They also have some species which lareefs don't carry, but the converse is true as well. reefs2go.com has a decent selection as well, although not as many as lareefs or live-plants. Reefcleaners.com also has macros; a smaller selection than any of the above, but they offer one species which I haven't seen anywhere else; a brown branching Dictyota which they say will not overrun your tank like others of its genus. eBay often has macros sold as individuals or "refugium packs"; mostly Graciarella and chaeto, but every once and a while you might strike gold. For information on macros in general, I recommend giving marineplantbook.com a look; it has information on the requirements of many species/genus regularly found in the trade, and also has pictures and descriptions of everything, so apart from an info source, it is also helpful for IDing macros.

As for recommendations, I would suggest the genus Botryocladia ("red grape macro algae"), dragon's tongue (genus Halymenia), and Codium Lucasii (rather unimpressive at first sight, but if you look a little closer you will notice a beautiful blue/green iridescence). They are some of my personal favorites. But most of all, keep an open mind and be creative: seemingly unattrictive macro algae sometimes turn out to be beautiful additions to a display tank. Good luck! And post pictures, ok?

Last edited:
Thanks, Yeah I have a lot of dragon's breath lol. I'm trying to sell and get rid of it. I've seen reefs2go,live-plants, reefcleaners there wasnt much that interested me.

Good thread I've been contemplating putting a few in my DT but need to know what overruns and what my tang will demolish ;).. Gonna check out the sites above for info..

Hm... well, I don't know how to help you there. Those three places cover pretty much every available species. I guess you could beg divers to collect something pretty for you or get some from people on the forum. Unless you live by the ocean and collection laws permit, that is. You could also try asking your LFS if they could order some (assuming they don't already have some).

Good thread I've been contemplating putting a few in my DT but need to know what overruns and what my tang will demolish ;).. Gonna check out the sites above for info..

Glad to be of help! Just don't put Gracilaria in there ;)! Blue ochtodes will overrun, as will the feathery Caulerpas (except for Caulerpa Ashmeadii, which is a slow-grower). However, by putting several species which would overrun a tank normally in direct competition with one another, you drastically reduce the chances that any one species will take over, although one or two species will probably capitalize and find a way to achieve dominance over the others. Anyhow, with more invasive species, competition, nutrient/light limitation, and aggressive pruning ought to keep things in check. (Marineplantbook mentions growth rates as well, by the way)

Halimeda is cool looking and tangs don't eat it. Most of the macros that calcify, the tangs won't touch.

BTW thanks everyone.

Finding macros beyond what those 3 sites carry is hard. Best bet is from other hobbyists, or LFS. I've found some incredible macros as tiny sprouts attached to coral frags. My LFS are used to me asking to get that random looking algae on the coral LOL!

I often pick through my LFS's live rock tank looking for algae. Also I just ordered seagrasses from Florida Pets. They are more demanding than macros but they are my favorite.

Back