DIY Aquarium Monitor Build

One of the best things about diy electronics is that there are a ton of suppliers that will send you free samples including shipping. I ordered a couple of really nice enclosures, connectors for all of the sensors, some sensors, PCB mounts, wire management etc. All Free!

you can download xp pro from the microsoft website as long as you still have the xp pin number on the laptop
I do and did in fact get the os installed but the hardware is so far outdated I can't fond drivers for the Ethernet and the wireless protocol is so old it won't connect to my wireless LOL.

When something doesn't work and you have been banging your head on the desk for hours getting no where, stop. Walk away and get a bite to eat. All for a stupid typo... Oh well back on track again.

I have started soldering and assembling the control box. More pics tomorrow.

fbee22e8c0f95e05172180703f53f74b.jpg

d1f2e66c944cb379f509d595e2708c0a.jpg

3fdc72f3583fff4df530ac01a18472c6.jpg

4a66eb9f20347acb9fb524246eea5bf5.jpg

Ok this morning's update.

I had to pull everything out again last night because I forgot to solder in the (-) jumpers. :headwally:

I made the necessary repairs and re assembled the unit. Today I reconnected the wires to the I/O terminals on the Numato boards. I have to pick up one more panel mount RCA jack for the front due to one being damaged.

I connected the unit to my PC and systematically tested each port via Putty and a test switch. Of course this was after testing every port for continuity with my multi-meter. Everything tested perfectly!

So here we are to date:

* Software is 95% complete. It is fully functional and working however I do want to change some things to make it easier on the next guy to configure without having to modify the code.

* Email alerts are sending notifications
* FTP / webpage updates are working
* The control box is complete short of repairing the one damaged RCA jack.

Next I need to locate where I am going to mount this puppy and start building out the sensors and switches. I will be able to test the production environment via remote desktop. I am also planning on making the web page much nicer than the current one which just displays plain text. I want to include some historical data as well.

I have unofficially named the project 'AMP 16'

AMP16.png

Oh and FYI:

I have spoken with the author of the original code regarding distributing it. He agreed to releasing the code as opensource free for non commercial use. I will open a project very soon where anyone can down load the code. I will also be posting the installer for anyone to use as configured that does not want to mess with coding.

As far as building the control box all you really need is:
* An enclosure ( this could really be whatever you want I obtained mine as a free sample from a supplier)
* Numato Labs 8 Channel USB GPIO (2 are used here) They do have 16 and 32 channels as well but that will require some modification to the code. $19 each.
* 22ga wire. (I used solid core for the internal connections, and speaker wire for the rest)
* Soldering iron
* Multimeter
* Wire strippers, wire cutter, a few basic tools.
* RCA jacks for the connections to the sensors. (16 found online for cheap) (not required but makes life easier when things are modular)
* 15 10k ohm 1/4 watt resistors
* 1 10m ohm 1/4 watt resistor
* 1 110 ohm 1/4 watt resistor
* I used an off the shelf PCB from radioshack to make the interface to the ports. again not required but keeps it tidy.
*some screws and nylon sleeves for mounting the boards - local hardware store for a few bucks.
* a spare PC to serve as the brain. Really does not need to be much.

I have the images updating on the web interface now. I have my web cam recording a pic every minute. It then gets synced to the webpage for an updated snapshot every couple of minutes. It is also emailed when an alert notification is sent.

web1.png

Can't wait to seethe final project and to see the code as I am looking and exploring ideas to make a controller myself
Started moving some equipment tonight and took my server offline for some maintenance. The pics will show up again tomorrow. I am just about ready to start adding the sensors bit I needed some longer USB cables so I ordered those this evening.

A little more code clean up to do to pretty it up. The software is 100% functioning now.

OK - My server is back up and running. I also installed GIT to my server for software source control. I may open it up selectively to interested parties but I will probably fork a copy over to github soon.

Updates

Updates

Well I spent most of my time today reformatting the alert and statuses in the core application that push to the web. I also got rid of the plain vanilla look of the webpage. Here is a live page My Aquarium Status.

It also is mobile friendly. The page refreshes every 60 seconds automatically. The unit is currently turned off and not reporting real data. So don't worry my fish are not getting cooked LOL. My USB cables arrived today so I can get the control box mounted. After that... On to making and mounting the sensors.

Progress Update

Progress Update

I have been doing a lot of general cleanup in the code. I also rewrote the temperature part because I didn't like the original one. The new code is giving me far less fluctuation in the temps. This is from my test machine right now. I have the live machine running but removed the control box to test. I actually had an error in my temp circuits that I need to correct and have since rewritten that part of the code. I am happy with the performance now. I am experimenting now with applying the sensors to the exterior of the tank as opposed to inside. I would like to keep as much out of the water as possible.
mon3.png

I am also rearranging things to be a little more intuitive.

hello and cool idea to keep an eye on your tank setup.. why did you use 2 GPIO and not just one bigger unit for just one usb cable coming out of the control box and going to the computer or was 2 some how more flexible?

Back