DIY Aquarium Monitor Build

Yes. Also read the manual for it which got me into putty. Just choose serial then change to the correct COM number

Excellent! I still have to build a couple of sensors but have been busy at work and have a trip all next week. My system is working perfectly since it has been online. I have identified a couple of things I want to change in the code. The main one being to automatically reset the warnings on the web log when the parameters are in check again. I also want to get a different webcam.

how is this coming along haven't seen any new post in a while

So far things are working great. I have been busy with work the past few weeks so I haven't had time to hit my to-do list. For my set up I just need to make a couple more sensors but for the most part I have all I need to tell when something goes wrong.

I do want to re-write the alert history section a bit so as not to have to manually clear the history but have the log update when the levels are back to normal.

Curious if you have any update on this?
No earth shattering updates. I have a short list of items I'd like to address such as updating the log to clear things that are back within spec.

The unit has been functioning perfectly for me since I launched it.

If it were me I would scrap the PC idea... those things suck down power and that drive will eventually fail. I would run it on a raspberry pi running linux (30 bucks or so). You will have plenty of language choices including .Net should you stick with it plus you get GPIO pins for free.

I would also be sensitive to properly isolating anything that touches the water such as floats. Perhaps even optical isolation. The reason for this is if the float dies (it will) you will provide a path for the PC to short into the tank. It has the potential to rapidly corrode the wires or other really bad stuff. It will also give potential false reading at that point (not sure about that). You aren't controlling stuff so no worries there.

Good luck!

Back