DIY BIonic Solution

ste6168

Ok, so at the last club meeting someone was selling DowFlake (i think it was) and, being new to the hobby, i didnt get it. I have done a little research and found that it is used in some type of homemade BIonic solution. I was wondering if anyone could get me a write up of how this is used, why, and stuff like that.

Thanks, Mike

Link To Recipe

Mike,

Read the article above--It is very informative.

I can bring you enough of Dowflake (2 1/2 Cups) to make a gallon of Part #1 (Calcium) I was giving away free at the meeting---You should have grabbed a bag :)

You will only need to buy Baking Soda (Arm and Hammer 2 1/4 Cups Baked at 300 deg for an hour) For Part #2

Epsom Salt (3 Cups Needed)(Can get at Giant Eagle) and Magflake (5 Cups Needed) for #3 Additive

Ask Raynist about purchasing a 5# bag of the Magflake from him. I have an extra 5# bag but Ray has a bunch left to sell.

Chuck

ok, sounds good- if you wanted to bring that to the next meeting i could take it off your hands... thanks for the info also.

Mike I am also a newbe at this - so - we can get thru this together. I was confusing Mag flake ( magnesium) with dow flake ( calcium) at first and was very confused. Just picked up baking soda adn got Dowflake and magflake at the last meeting - I think I still need one more thing= epson salts- but have no time to check right now. good luck. Ted

yeah, well as of right now i only have pulsing xenia in my tank, but plan to get more so right now i dont think i even need it but would like to get it going

The measurements for this stuff are not that critical, but the closer you get them the more "balanced" you additions will be over time. A cheap digital postal scale is great for weighing the portions. I purchased a cart full of baking sode, and the other raw materials. I then set up what looked like a cocaine lab on the kitchen table.

I now have about 5 dozen pre-weighed ziploc bags full of white powder and flakes... each marked with a sharpie and stored in the fishroom. I use about a gallon of part 1 and 2 every month or so. When it is time to mix a new batch, I simply grab a baggie of dowflake and mx with water to make a gallon. I toss the baking soda in the oven for an hour or so and then mix it to make a gallon also.

Bean

Bean, what is your stocking like? doyou have SPS and clams? If so then hopefully when i am fully stocked i will only use about a gallon every 3 months as i only plan to have softies.

I have a 20 gallon fuge with some cheato, a few decent size softies (frogspawn, pearl, sinularia) and a dozen or so frags of SPS (some getting large) a decent selection of lPS (trumpet, candy canes, open brain) I have a lot of zoos and some other stuff. TONS of coraline.

Coraline takes a lot of alk and calcium, as does the cheato.

My tank is a 75, and I started dosing about 30ml of each solution a day, that has gone up to about 65ml over the last 6 months. I would assume that it will level off around 100-130ml or so in the next year or two.

Bean

Back