DIY LED selection for full spectrum

biglurr54

So I'm building some lights for my new tank. Its a 16 gallon bow for my desk at work. It will be a complete mixed reef. SPS, LPS, maxima clam I have two options that I am contemplating. First one is RapidLED PAR38 bulbs. This is what I have over my 7 gallon the 16 is going to be replacing. They consist of 6 RB, 2 Neutral white, 2 cool white, and 2 UVs. The one i have currently has 60 degree optics. It throws a nice tight beam and keeps sps happy from the sand bed to the top. I was thinking of buying another Par38 bulb and hanging both over the 16.

My other idea is to use a set of DIY LEDs i picked up off craigslist. I have 12 cool white and 12 royal blue on a heat sink. They are cheap Chinese LEDS and need new drivers. If i was going to use these I would reconfigure them. I would have 12rb, 10 cool white, 4 uv, 1 red, and 1 green. This is the cheapest option and I would get a nice full spectrum but im worried about the cheap Chinese leds

What route should I go?

I did some pricing and it will cost a little more to add the uv red and green and two new drivers to my current DIY led. Is this still a better option?

I am currently thinking of the following mix. It is a "per element" mix, the needed light will be chosen by the number of elements. Do you think this could work?
3 Watt LED Brigdelux (I think)
6x Blue (460-480)
6x Royal Blue (450-460)
3x UV/Actinic (410-430)
2x Red (660)
1x Red (620)
1x Green (510-530)
5x Cold White 12k

I am currently thinking of the following mix. It is a "per element" mix, the needed light will be chosen by the number of elements. Do you think this could work?
3 Watt LED Brigdelux (I think)
6x Blue (460-480) Good, bit too many IMO
6x Royal Blue (450-460) Good, add a few more to replace the extra blue
3x UV/Actinic (410-430) Violet, not UV, I'd just get good HV from ledgroup buy though
2x Red (660) Use deep red 680 if you can
1x Red (620) Not needed
1x Green (510-530) replace with cyan
5x Cold White 12k
Replace the CW with NW

Back