DIY LEDs - The write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a quick question regarding the Meanwell drivers. I have one of the ELN-60-48D powering a string of 15 Cree XRE leds. It has internal adjustments that set to their max output drives the string 53.5 V at an overall current of 800MA. I have tested this over a period of several hours, and the driver does not appear to overheat. Everywhere I have read suggests 13 leds per string. Will running the strings this way cause damage to the drivers?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15231965#post15231965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luisagos
Yes, I plan to have a full DIY thread for us Profilux owners.
My LEDS and Driver might ship next week.
EVG-AP2 is a must have for my project.
I am also waiting for my Analog card from GHL, that will allow me to hook up my PAR Sensor to Profilux and maybe have PAR levels dictate my brightness levels.

Its going to be a fun project, because of Evil and Soundwave they laid the foundation for my build., thank you guys.

I saw your reply to my questions on the Profilux support site. I was hoping to get Mathias to respond to make sure anyone wanting to connect LED's to the Profilux was doing it the best way possible.

Eagerly awaiting your write up on your system.

Yep, me too. :D

Just waiting for parts is driving me nuts.

Only thing I am waiting for is the LEDs and Drivers.
My plan is to start the thread with the parts needed.

Parts list.
How much they cost.
Where I brought them.
Describing what they are, specs sheets, fun stuff like that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15239574#post15239574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hlem
How about something like this? Does anyone know how many LED this can run in serial?

Did you mean to post a link? I don't see what you are trying to reference.

I just bought a hex tank with a 26"x26"x25" footprint and will be lighting it with a 20"x20" DIY LED system. How many LEDS/how far spaced apart do you guys think would be a good powered system? I know im being very vague, but thats where I want you guys to fill in with your opinions and options you have all thought up, im not as smart as yall! Thanks in advance :)

-Jarob

p.s. I have been following this thread for sometime... AMAZING WORK GUYS!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15243468#post15243468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jarob
I just bought a hex tank with a 26"x26"x25" footprint and will be lighting it with a 20"x20" DIY LED system. How many LEDS/how far spaced apart do you guys think would be a good powered system? I know im being very vague, but thats where I want you guys to fill in with your opinions and options you have all thought up, im not as smart as yall! Thanks in advance :)

-Jarob

p.s. I have been following this thread for sometime... AMAZING WORK GUYS!!!!

the concensus on nanoreef (which has alot of people running these) is 2" spacing & optics if more than 16 or so deep

Yea I plan on making a sort of cresent mountain shape and will be using optics on the center where it is left open. 2" spacing is from the center of the LED correct?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15243714#post15243714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370
the concensus on nanoreef (which has alot of people running these) is 2" spacing & optics if more than 16 or so deep

maybe somebody can answer this.......

the buckpucks have a maximum input voltage of 32v, but i can't find 32v power supplies.....24 & 28, but the next size seems to be 36 (too expensive) or 48

i'm thinking (9) leds @ 3.7v forward voltage = 29.6v so that puts me under the 32v max input of the buckpuck, so if i were to use a 48v power supply, if the leds only pull 30-32v would the 48v power supply fry the buckpuck????

if so, is there any easy way to limit the input??

The 48 would fry it. As mentioned before, there is a suggested limit of 6 LEDs per puck. You can push it further but be ready for overheating and possibly failure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15247273#post15247273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Soundwave
The 48 would fry it. As mentioned before, there is a suggested limit of 6 LEDs per puck. You can push it further but be ready for overheating and possibly failure.

so i guess that means for (18) leds, i'll have to go w/ (3) pucks of (6) leds each.

but that does bring the voltage down to under 24v, so maybe i'll do 1 string of 3 blue & 3 white on a seperate power supply & use those for a sunrise/midday/sunset & the remaining 2 strings on a different supply for midday

Welcome to RC yupgopotty.

Those CREEs have a forward voltage of 3.5V @ 700mA.

3.5V x 12 = 42V That Mean Well will go up to 48V. That means you have 6V of head room, which is reasonable.

Your selection should work fine.

Thanks for the welcome and information kcress. It seems this model is cheaper than some of the other meanwells and the buckpucks, so I think I'm gonna go for this one (~$26 for 12 LEDs).

Got a quick question....

Why did soundwave use 1000mA drivers on his cool white LED's and 700mA drivers on his Royal blue LED's?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15251799#post15251799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yupgopotty
Thanks for the welcome and information kcress. It seems this model is cheaper than some of the other meanwells and the buckpucks, so I think I'm gonna go for this one (~$26 for 12 LEDs).

Just curious, where are you seeing them for $26? I did a quick google search and the first few vendors I clicked on were much more than that (like $35 - $40).

I paid like $29 for the Meanwell ELN-60-48P Drivers, but i did buy them through a group buy.

They can handle 13 LEDS at 1000ma with dimmable abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back