DIY Monster Beckett- Graphic Intensive!

Guys, JBC plastic in St Louis sells Acrylic tubing fairly cheaply. They sbhip internationally and nationally. They will also cut and sell you the acrylic to your specifications, you will not have to buy by the whole foot or whole 3-foot segments.

Check out their webpage and ask for John when you call.

Nic

McMaster-Carr does too, and you can pick up your gate valve and other plumbing items at the same time.

Zeph

Zephrant,

I read and read closely about your new version of the injector but I still come up blank of how you did it. Could you or any one on here draw a layout of the injector so that I can build one. To get the beckett injector, I looked at the website where it could be order. I don't see any info about the beckett injector. Please help, I am trying to save some money building a diy skimmer.

Thanks,

Mattt.

Mattt,

Could you guy tell me which beckett nozzle to get from the website ? There are a few kit but none has a similar looks to the one posted on the thread. A part number would be good.

Thanks,

Mattt.

The best setup for DIY is to make one out of PVC pipe pieces. There are several threads around where some people have come up with some very nice ones.

To copy what I did means you have to make up a set of three patterns for the flanges, which is a lot of effort for just one skimmer.

You are looking for a "1408 Foam Pond Nozzle" by Beckett.

Zeph

Thanks, Zep for getting back to me.

I am going to build my skimmer out of PVC. I have a few more question. The 1/4" speed connector where the air tube is. Did you have it stop at the outer chamber or does it connected all the way to the injector nozzle ? How does the beckett nozzle pull in air to make bubbles for the skimmer ? I hope you understand my question.

Thanks,

Mattt.

The speed connector stops in the wall of the Beckett chamber- The chamber is there to prevent water that sprays out of the cracks in the beckett from making a mess, and to allow you to control how much air gets to the Beckett. The head has four holes in it that pull in air, just like a standard venturi. The difference is between the Beckett and a venturi is the unique center piece that helps pull in more air, and the four input holes (again, more air).

Hope that helps-

Zeph

Hi Zeph! Thanks for the great posts. I always find them very well written and informative. I have to ask though, after you cut your acrylic tube, do you machine the cut end on a router or anything like you do for the pieces on the skimmer box? If not, then what type of blade are you cutting your acrylic with?

Thanks.

Zep,

Thanks again fro the reply. I went out and look at some of the pvc and see if I could build one out of it. Too much got involve and getting tools. So, if you ever thinking about building one and sell it, let me know. I have a four hundred gallons tank.

Thanks, again.

Mattt.

With a good saw blade (Freud ATB, for plastics) the edges is pretty good. Having the correct jig helps too. I don't need to do any cleanup beyond using a scraper to knock the sharp edge off to make sure it sits in the groove well.

Mattt- 400 sounds great. I keep thinking of upgrading, but I can't make up my mind on the size. Sent you a PM.

Zeph

Zeph, Great Job!!!

Very difficult to DIY the 3.5" piece with 2 bevel cuts on them using hands tool.
Could someone let me know, what kind of glue can be use to joint Acrylic Pipe with PVC 90' Elbow?

Thanks.
BL.

Great Job on this !!!!!

I'm trying to build myself a skimmer and i'm still looking around for information . Do u keep the water level full up to the output of the nozzle ???

BL- Weldon #16 works fine. I normally use #42 which is a two part product similar to Epoxy, but comes in a dual tube dispensing tube, which requires an expensive dispenser.

The water level was about 2-3" below the main flange to make a medium skimmate. I ran this skimmer for over a year, then replaced it with a dual input model. No real reason other than I wanted to make a dual model, and needed to test it. :)

Zeph

Yep, that is an "old-style" injector, but the only difference is that the old ones have the fins on the outside and the newer ones do not. The inside is exactly the same, so there is no performance difference at all.

Zeph

Hello Zeph,

I DIY the Skimmer Injector like Beckett Injector, built from PVC Connectors. On the first Photo, bubbles output from my DIY Injector direct into the water. On the second Photo, bubbles output from the Trial Injector Tube using 3" Dia. PVC Pipe and Elbows. Is it possible to build Beckett Skimmers like yours using this Injector?

64084Cimg1281A.jpg

64084Cimg1288A.jpg

BL.

That looks pretty good to me- I'd give it a shot. Make it removable so you can play with different injectors and all.

And make sure you let the skimmer settle in for a few weeks when you first run it- It can take up to a month to reach full performance on a new skimmer. :)

Zeph

Zeph, thanks.

Izandral, sorry I've no documentation for the inside of the injector, because I didn't expect it will work.
The complete assy of the injector.

64084Cimg1293A.jpg

BL.

Back