DIY Rocks for new aquascape

Wow that looks fantastic. Any guesses on the weight of that?

Thank you. I don't know the weight but it's less than if I used real rock because the whole structure is hollow. I plan on weighing each piece before putting in the tank. I'll update when I weigh it out.

Rocks are set and curing nicely. I tried to remove the smaller rock to the middle right to just see how hard it would be. I think I might have a problem removing them from the mold. I couldn't remove it because I didn't want to pull too hard and break it. Hope I can think of a good way to remove them.

Any thoughts besides a sledge hammer?

Rocks are set and curing nicely. I tried to remove the smaller rock to the middle right to just see how hard it would be. I think I might have a problem removing them from the mold. I couldn't remove it because I didn't want to pull too hard and break it. Hope I can think of a good way to remove them.

Any thoughts besides a sledge hammer?
Would compressed air be an option?

Would compressed air be an option?

I thought about that or maybe a pressure washer. I have holes in the rock work so I could put something in between the rock and mold. I just don't want to break it. I also thought about those flat lift bags, sliding them under the sections, and pumping them up.

I got a little impatient like I always do and decided to use a crow bar. The island piece came up in one solid piece. I decided well let's try the structure part. I worked it off the mold but unfortunately the left side broke into two pieces. I will let the rest cure a little longer for the next week or two.

20240507_202911.jpg

Good news is that with a little surgery it is good to go and stronger than the cement itself. I think it is going to turn out pretty good.

20240507_204623.jpg
20240507_204625.jpg
20240507_204630.jpg
20240507_202857.jpg

Concrete was too thin/weak?

That is a part of the problem. I used perlite which wasn't a good choice for this. While it did make the structure lighter, I feel it weakened it with how thin the structure was. I also shouldn't have glued the plastic to the compound. The concrete got stuck to the plastic in places which was hard to remove because it was glued to the compound. It was impossible to try and remove it without it breaking. Most sections broken into a bunch of pieces.

I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the crowbar was not the move

No, the crow bar worked well. The rock was just too weak and stuck in areas to the structure. It was almost impossible for it not to break regardless of how I tried and removed it.

I have a little dilemma here. Should I redo this?

I have a bunch of dry and cleaned rocks from my old system that I have bleached and acid washed already. If I don't use those, then I don't know what I'll end up doing with them. If I built the structure from those rocks, I could save some time without having to wait for it to cure, and then I could plumb it directly into the existing system. Plus, this route would make for a happier wife. Bless her soul! She has put up with the back patio looking like an aquarium junk yard for two months.

On the other hand, I don't do well with defeat. I feel a little defeated and was looking forward to making this structure. I could redo the structure, but this time without the perlite, and I won't use drywall compound or glue the plastic down. I believe that using duct tape for the structure and laying down the plastic without glue will make it easier for me to remove the sections and the plastic itself. However, this would involve buying more cement along with aragonite sand and gravel. My wife isn't too hip on the idea of spending more money on this for it to fail again. She's cool with it but I have to think about her also in this.

So, what do you all think? Should I just scrap it and use what I have, or should I roll up my sleeves and get back at it again?

I have a little dilemma here. Should I redo this?

I have a bunch of dry and cleaned rocks from my old system that I have bleached and acid washed already. If I don't use those, then I don't know what I'll end up doing with them. If I built the structure from those rocks, I could save some time without having to wait for it to cure, and then I could plumb it directly into the existing system. Plus, this route would make for a happier wife. Bless her soul! She has put up with the back patio looking like an aquarium junk yard for two months.

On the other hand, I don't do well with defeat. I feel a little defeated and was looking forward to making this structure. I could redo the structure, but this time without the perlite, and I won't use drywall compound or glue the plastic down. I believe that using duct tape for the structure and laying down the plastic without glue will make it easier for me to remove the sections and the plastic itself. However, this would involve buying more cement along with aragonite sand and gravel. My wife isn't too hip on the idea of spending more money on this for it to fail again. She's cool with it but I have to think about her also in this.

So, what do you all think? Should I just scrap it and use what I have, or should I roll up my sleeves and get back at it again?
I'm all for spending your money.:D SO I vote do it.

Maybe some focus on the release aspect. One trick might be to spray your taped structure with wd40, then stick the plastic wrap to that - it will sorta vacuum seal on to it. Then carry on as usual, and when the time comes the plastic should come right off with the concrete. If your not keen with that idea, there are mold release agents that are food grade ( all mold makers use a release spray of some type), but in this scenario spray the release on top of the plastic before applying the concrete. No idea if either process won't be a pain. Maybe do a small scale test...

Back