DIY skimmer

jahel318

I'm thinking of doing a DIY skimmer. I don't think there is any major difference between a homemade one and a professionally built brand name skimmer other than price. I suppose they both pretty much do the same thing, right? I have a 44 gallon and just wanted to save some money. Anyone have any thoughts and advice?

Ya I have some advice. Buy a used one. There is a lot more to a skimmer then you think. Size, shape, flow, air, There is a reason some cost more then others. There is a ton of research and development that goes into building a skimmer.

Buy a used one, the only home skimmers I have ever seen that did half way decent was on like a 300-400 and made from 5 gallon buckets with a brewer funnel....but the guy spent the same as a good used one once you have to buy the pump at retail.

Sorry, the original post made me LOL with a store full of people.

Is is possible, yes BUT not darn likely that you'll stumble upon a skimming secret that will get you past the performance of a late 1990s design/product (ie ASM,EuroReef/Reef Dynamics,Sealife,ALSS "Maddog", etc.). Some old designs can be found in the book "The Marine Aquarium Refererence: Systems and Invertebrates" by Martin A. Moe Jr.. They are PVC construction and fun to build BUT you're not going save any real money nor will it be a performance giant.

The following sums up nicely,

Ya I have some advice. Buy a used one. There is a lot more to a skimmer then you think. Size, shape, flow, air, There is a reason some cost more then others. There is a ton of research and development that goes into building a skimmer.

Exactly! If I allowed you to sift through my i-TECH notes, you could see where a mm of difference would make dramatic changes.

Back