DIY Stand: Will this support the tank

dcombs44

I am planning a stand for my 29 gallon. I plan to make the stand bigger than the tank on all sides for various reasons. I plan to use 2x4 for the top and bottom frame with support beams in the middle of each. My question is, will 2x2 studs in each corner support the weight or do i need to square up 2x4s to each corner. Im really not sure what route to take since i need the stand to be so much bigger than the tank.

I am somewhat lost with this project so any suggestions will help

I would go with 2x4s personally. I'm sure that the 2x2s would hold the weight but I wouldn't be too comfortable with it.

2x2's should be fine. I'm assuming you're using a plywood skin? If so you probably don't even need any internal support. Go to Petsmart and look at their stands. No internal 2x4's or even 2x2's for their stands even up to 180 gal.

If the question is whether or not 2x2 legs can handle the compression from 29 gallons of water plus rock, etc, they can. We're only talking 300 lbs or so. However, if the stand will be an open frame (ie no plywood skin) there will be a lot of force at the corners in and it will be prone to collapse (the torque at on the joints will cause them to fail). If you're going to skin it anyway, I would skip the stud framing and just build a plywood face frame cabinet. A 3/4" plywood box (properly built) will hold it up no problem.

I just used 3/4 plywood for mine. No framing at all. Just made a plywood box and cut a door. Has been working fine for 2 years.

Back