DIY Sulfur Denitrator

Gas saturation?

Gas saturation?

Hi, can someone explain about De-gas process?
Do we need to do it everyday?

I mean, I use to own a Sulphur Reactor, from company called KORAL or something. I don't remember seeing a de-gas valve or instruction about to performing a de-gas.

I am trying to do a DIY version this time.

But it needed, does anyone ever found out the pressure inside the reactor?
I mean, can we use Hot-water Pressure Relieve valve to de-gas it?

I got a few titanium pressure relief valve... of 10bars.
But it can also be order in all spec of pressure from 1bar up to 10bars.

I figure, if we could use this, wouldn't it be released it own gas from time to time once the pressure build up high enough?

Normally a BADES reactor is not pressurized!
Only if you restrict the outflow, pressure may build up but that is not good husbandry as one does cut the feeding pump by which it may heat up and use a lot more energy. Pressure in the reactor will lead to lower gas saturation and gas buildup. Normally we use a closed-loop on the in- and outflow of the feeding pump, this way the pump always can turn at normal capacity and the system does not become pressurized as the flow is controlled using a valve in the closed-loop of the feeding pump.

In some commercial reactor setups the circulating pump is the highest point by which degassing is not needed. Normally the outflow of a BADES reactor is always aerated by which all gasses are driven out. In big systems, where a lot of gasses are produced, such setup may lead to pump cavitation if centrifugal pumps are used. Such pumps are often not self-priming.

One can make the outflow of the reactor the highest point by which gasses can not build up in the reactor. One can also make a degassing chamber on top of the reactor with a plastic bottle which one can empty from time to time when gasses accumulate in the bottle.

If you are planning to use an SD at a drip flow rate , It is probbaly best to use an accumulation bottle which may warn you for HS production taking place, this when the gasses are drained.

Using high flow BADES applications degassing is not needed as only the daily nitrogen overproduction or a bit more is removed daily producing a limited amount of gasses. Gasses produced will leave the reactor with the flow. As the reactor is NOT pressurized gas oversaturation is limited.

if closed reactors are used for BADES applications I advise to always aerate the outflow before it may enter the main system. This for stabilizing pH and export CO2 and N2, and for to oxidize produced HS if anoxic kept SD reactors are used or and 0 nitrate is targetted in the effluent
In seawater HS can reach a toxic level before you may smell it by forming H2S.

I do NOT advise the use of anoxic kept SD in live support systems. I do advise NOT to target 0 nitrate effluent using a BADES reactor as this will lead to increased sulfate reduction, ammonia and HS production. Making use of BADES correctly all this is avoided.

Back