dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

Hi Dave,

Tank is looking awesome!

Got a favor to ask: when you get a chance, would you mind moving back? Kicking back around that tank, with a beer, and chatting reefs... can't think of a much better way to spend an evening.

What do you have in your 'fuge these days?

Mark

That is one cool looking tank. It's something you'd see at a public aquarium.

Thanks so much! You're not too far off in one sense... This little piece was actually a leftover from a big cylinder installation that was being done so they slapped together this little baby version for one of the local shops. That shop had intended to use it as a display for some sharks or rays or somethings, but never got around to do anything with it and it sat there empty (save for some fake corals) for years.

Hi Dave,

Tank is looking awesome!

Got a favor to ask: when you get a chance, would you mind moving back? Kicking back around that tank, with a beer, and chatting reefs... can't think of a much better way to spend an evening.

What do you have in your 'fuge these days?

Mark

Hey there Mark! Thanks for stopping by the thread. Miss all you guys back there, but no way would I leave AZ for your brutal weather and job market :) Come on out to PHX and the beers are on me.

Fuge is rock and chaeto, fairly traditional stuff...

Thanks, I'm trying to get better at pics and it's getting a little better. I really need to work on macro's, but in time in time...

I am certain with your system that the livestock will be looking fantastic. I've got a rack full of frags to get you started when that tank is done cycling, I'm super impressed with how nice your tank looks.

I could take a field trip on Friday to check them out! Also you're more than welcome to come down on Saturday to check out the setup! I just got a prototype product from Spectrapure:cool:

I could take a field trip on Friday to check them out! Also you're more than welcome to come down on Saturday to check out the setup! I just got a prototype product from Spectrapure:cool:

I've got a day full of conference calls on Friday followed by a 9th grade Shakespeare production (followed by a boat load of captain and coke) But let me know what's happening this weekend and we'll see if we can get together. I haven't talked to my wife at all really so I don't know if I'm supposed to be around or not....

Well you motivated me to finish the video, so it's up here on youtube.
I didn't edit too much, and it probably needs a bit more, but you can check it out if you so inclined. It's goes top down at about 3:15 too....

I've also been working on and off on a web site for the round and shallow reef. I've not really managed to get it where I want it yet, but it's something to start with. If you are so inclined take a look and please provide feedback if you have any, good or bad.

Gorgeous website
love the colors
easy and fun to navigate
like the organization- let's me enjoy your tank in order of what is most interesting to me

Love the new vid- you can see all that growth WOW!
I would love to see this tank in person, so I am glad you keep taking videos!

thanks for sharing

all I can say is jealous

You have nothing to be jealous of your dual tank build is going to be super sweet.

Gorgeous website
love the colors
easy and fun to navigate
like the organization- let's me enjoy your tank in order of what is most interesting to me

Love the new vid- you can see all that growth WOW!
I would love to see this tank in person, so I am glad you keep taking videos!

thanks for sharing

Well thanks for the great feedback. Really appreciate you taking a look at the site. I've got a bit more work to do and tons of content to add.

Once I figure out how to really take nice pictures I'll have to try and learn how to take better video :)

This is the most awesome tank I've seen.

One question from this noob. How do you keep from flooding the sump room in the event of power loss with the suction and return lines exiting the bottom of the tank? Do you use some sort of check valves?

This is the most awesome tank I've seen.

One question from this noob. How do you keep from flooding the sump room in the event of power loss with the suction and return lines exiting the bottom of the tank? Do you use some sort of check valves?

Well thank you for the amazing compliment.

There is actually an overflow box and only a single return line that is at the waters surface of the display tank so if the main return pump goes out only a very small amount of water back siphons, roughly a gallon. The other tanks in the sump room are all plumbed in such a way that only a tiny bit of back siphon occurs there from the refugium and and just leave plenty of room in the return pump compartment of the sump to account for what drains back from both of those tanks. I've lost power a few times and done plenty of manual tests to make sure there are no flood issues.

FWIW, I would NEVER trust a check valve, a tank must always be designed to have a siphon break and enough room in the sump to prevent a flood or you will have one eventually.

One of the best tanks I have ever seen on RC or anywhere.

You are too kind, thank so much. I'm constantly in awe of so many of the amazing set ups I see both here and in person, it's great to know others enjoy the setup I'm working on too.

amazing tank! i would love to see this tank in person! i'm in awe right now. this is a dream tank in reality

Back