dmorel's 220 Round & Shallow reef build

Dmorel, great build and very very cool tank. You know they have 10k, 14k and 20k bulb right? Ushio also make the bulb with g12 base ...

I assume that stand has some sort of support(s) in the middle area? I don't think an acrylic tank should be supported only by the edges. It would want to sag, which would be bad.

There is a 3/4" wood top going between the stand and tank and there will most likely be some sort of support that will enclose the plumbing from the overflow and brace the center of the tank.

With a little bit of luck, everything should be coming in this week and we can start in on the plumbing fun next weekend. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14329884#post14329884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jar*Head
Dmorel, great build and very very cool tank. You know they have 10k, 14k and 20k bulb right? Ushio also make the bulb with g12 base ...

Thanks Man, I'm pretty excited about it too.

I got two of the 14K and two of the 20K bulbs right now. I actually did not know that Ushio made the g12 base bulbs though. It would definitely be interesting to get a couple of their bulbs. The Lumenarcs are going to be 15K's so there is a lot of blue in the mix here. I would be really interested to see a few 10K's on there....

I'll be on the prowl for some of those next ;)

Thanks for stopping by the thread Skip (Pyrrhus) ---
The wood top will be round leaving a uniform edge around the whole tank. It will be perfect to put your feet up on as you sit around the tank and chat. All the stuff that is currently around the tank is being moved out by the way, that room will have nothing in it but chairs (tall bar stool like chairs) and the tank.

Anyone know the best way to clean the acrylic a little? Most of the scratches are out, but the tank is filthy!

I use Novus 1 to clean the acrylic. Since i decided to go with acrylic, i purchased large container of Novus 1,2, and 3 all in 64oz :D

thanks guys, I'll pick some up this weekend and make it shiny.
Maybe some #3 too, there is one pretty hefty scratch I saw last night.

Can I use the Novus INSIDE the tank while it is still empty without fear?

(Never owned an acrylic tank before)

thanks!

Thanks for stopping by the thread Skip (Pyrrhus) ---
The wood top will be round leaving a uniform edge around the whole tank. It will be perfect to put your feet up on as you sit around the tank and chat. All the stuff that is currently around the tank is being moved out by the way, that room will have nothing in it but chairs (tall bar stool like chairs) and the tank.

[/B]

I have a bar running around two sides of my tank and the only way that would be better is having it go all the way around! Awesome idea.

Note that stardard "bar height" is about 40". Ending up at that height will make it easy to find appropriate height bar stools/chairs.

Another tip I would recommend is to plan for lights when you roll the light rack out of the way. If you are doing something in the tank, you'll still want to see what you are doing. Does that ceiling fan have lights? I've also seen MH installed up in the ceiling just for this purpose.

That...or redesign to allow your light rack to move vertically as well....

Wouldn't it be cool to make the bar out of acrylic and make it actually part of the tank? I thought about that when I designed, but I chickened out because I couldn't get my head past how I would keep it clean.

Hmmm, on the 40" after the false floor is in, the height should be about 34" off the ground to where the "ledge" is. It's not going to be that big a ledge, just enough to put your feet up and/or beer. In my case feet up and beer in hand is the preferred method :)

There is a light in the ceiling fan and we've planned to have just enough clearance for it to stay. There is also two sets of track lighting that will point down on the tank with just regular lights in them (you can see the track lighting in the first post on this thread) so I should be good to see when working in the tank.

Here's to hoping tomorrows light rack install goes smoothly!

The light rack is in!!!

Couple pics:

rackin3.jpg

rackin1.jpg

rackin2.jpg

More later... But it's cool and it works!

I love this idea! Seems like the cieling fan will help with any heat problems, if there are any. Can't wait to see more!

wow, very unusual tank, looks like you are off to a great start, looking forward to seeing this come together

well I got the rest of the spots up today.
Here are a few pics:

rackandspot1.jpg

rackandspot2.jpg

rackandspot3.jpg

rackandspot4.jpg

I've had the bulbs running for a few hours, there is a noticeable increase in temp.
So even with the open top and the fan up there I think I'm glad I decided on a chiller, particularly with another 500 watts of light coming!

These spots are cool, they clearly have a hot spot, which I would expect, but the coverage is actually a little larger area than I was thinking I would get.
I'm gonna troll the theater lighting shops and see if I can find some barn doors and see how that works out guiding the light a bit more.

Also cleared the room of non tank related stuff and will be putting the door back in sometime this week.

Lots more equipment coming this week and then we can get started on plumbing this thing up (that's when Skip becomes VITAL to the process....)

that design and set up is the bomb dot com. Nice work, I look forward to seeing it when its up and running

Since you have the ceiling fan set to bring heat upward, I think if you put in some small exit fans to your addict it would help reduce the heat of the room.

Looks great so far!

Very nice setup. I like the light rack. The fans should help reduce the heat issue. I would change the bulb on your ceiling fan to something blue and use it as moonlight :D

Back