Do I have enough light?

tworoads

I am looking at trying to keep some sps and I am wondering if I have enough light. right now I have

Tek Light T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting 4ft 6 bulb 324W

as my light source.

I like numbers 2, 5, 14, 23, 26, 28, 45 off of
http://www.fragalot.ca/newsh/frags/fragspec.html

what do you think? i am a total beginger at hard coral. thanks in advance for your thoughts

What size tank do you have? You should have plenty of lighting for any coral or clam. IMO you may need to be careful about how you position the corals and how long you keep the lights on every day because for many corals you could have too much light

What size tank is this fixture over? I have a 90g with 6x54w T5s and I can keep anything that I want.

Good luck!
Chris

hahaha i thought that i should have put that. opps.

its a 120G 24x24x48

do you still think it would work?

I also have some frogspawn and hammers that i picked up yesterday.

do you have a light cycle to suggest. i wouldnt want to harm my little buddies

Yes, your lighting should be sufficient.

I have a hammer that is about 1/3 off the sand and it grow really fast and has great color.

The only thing to keep in mind, is that with SPS you need extreme flow where with the hammer you need little flow. I had to just make a dead spot in the middle of my tank (Girlfriend like thae hammer too much) to place it.

Chris

Oh sorry,

I run mine for about 10hrs a day. Not sure what everyone here recommends but that is what I do.

I run my 2 blue +'s on the outside of the fixture for about 10 hrs and I run all 6 for about 8.5 hrs. I am thinking about reducing it more because i believe it is still too long for my corals. They have been growing faster w/ more polyp extension since I went down to the 8.5 from 10, next I'll try only about 7 hrs. for all 6 bulbs.

I believe that I will have to replace my second timer or try to fix my other so that I can lower my photo period.

Thanks!
Chris

Back