do I need to feed my elegance?

werd

I just got an elegance coral. I've always wanted one but never had the room for one. Should i feed it anything or just let it get what it gets?

do I need to feed my elegance?

Try to feed it if it will take it. I feed mine silversides cut into small pieces. Mine eats it like an Anemone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to feed mine very small finely chopped chunks of silver side. Thing got massive until my tank crashed from a move =(.

If they are healthy, they will eat any marine meat. Fish, crab, shrimp...........
Just cut the meat into pieces about 1/4" to 1/2" cubes. Depending on the size and health of the elegance. Just wiggle the food in the tentacles, and the coral will do the rest.
I'm not a big fan of silver sides, or other large, frozen, aquarium foods. There is no USDA or other organization to control the quality of aquarium foods. Silver sides can be thawed and refrozen multiple times before it reaches our pets. If it spoils, they can still sell it. I buy "fresh" seafood from the grocery store to feed my elegance, other large LPS, and anemones.
Just MHO
Peace
EC

If they are healthy, they will eat any marine meat. Fish, crab, shrimp...........
Just cut the meat into pieces about 1/4" to 1/2" cubes. Depending on the size and health of the elegance. Just wiggle the food in the tentacles, and the coral will do the rest.
I'm not a big fan of silver sides, or other large, frozen, aquarium foods. There is no USDA or other organization to control the quality of aquarium foods. Silver sides can be thawed and refrozen multiple times before it reaches our pets. If it spoils, they can still sell it. I buy "fresh" seafood from the grocery store to feed my elegance, other large LPS, and anemones.
Just MHO
Peace
EC

The FDA and USDA indeed do oversee pet feeds, and very strictly as well. Technically all aquarium feeds should be made in a USDA certified kitchen. FWIW I was the Compliance Officer for a major aquarium feed manufacturer.

Manufacturers are held liable just like any other food producer. The LFS in no way should be selling spoiled feeds.

The FDA and USDA indeed do oversee pet feeds, and very strictly as well. Technically all aquarium feeds should be made in a USDA certified kitchen. FWIW I was the Compliance Officer for a major aquarium feed manufacturer.

Manufacturers are held liable just like any other food producer. The LFS in no way should be selling spoiled feeds.

I agree with you that "The LFS in no way should be selling spoiled feeds", but you have to admit that it happens.
Here in Florida, frozen ornamental aquarium food is often delivered in the back of trucks, with no refrigeration, and where the temperature can easily exceed 100 degrees. The tiny styrofoam containers do little to keep the food frozen under such conditions.
Can you post a link to info regarding the USDA and/or the FDA's involvement in feeds for the ornamental aquarium trade?
I should have worded my post a little differently. I have researched the issue and can find no info regarding the USDA/FDA and ornamental aquarium feeds. That doesn't prove that it doesn't exist. If it does exist, I just can't find it.
From what I've found, there's nothing stopping someone from obtaining a small business license, packaging up seafood in their kitchen, and selling it as ornamental aquarium food. All without contacting the USDA or FDA.
Please post links correcting me if I'm wrong.

Peace
EC

I agree with you that "The LFS in no way should be selling spoiled feeds", but you have to admit that it happens.
Here in Florida, frozen ornamental aquarium food is often delivered in the back of trucks, with no refrigeration, and where the temperature can easily exceed 100 degrees. The tiny styrofoam containers do little to keep the food frozen under such conditions.
Can you post a link to info regarding the USDA and/or the FDA's involvement in feeds for the ornamental aquarium trade?
I should have worded my post a little differently. I have researched the issue and can find no info regarding the USDA/FDA and ornamental aquarium feeds. That doesn't prove that it doesn't exist. If it does exist, I just can't find it.
From what I've found, there's nothing stopping someone from obtaining a small business license, packaging up seafood in their kitchen, and selling it as ornamental aquarium food. All without contacting the USDA or FDA.
Please post links correcting me if I'm wrong.

Peace
EC

MO falls under "animal feeds", like dogs, cats, even livestock.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/AnimalFoodFeeds/PetFood/default.htm

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/ucm047111.htm

Under FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) enacted a few years ago, regulations got a lot stiffer, as has reporting/recording.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/AnimalFoodFeeds/ucm347941.htm

There's also state regulators you must deal with (where you manufacture), also a manufacturer also has to comply with every states regulations in regards to labeling.

AAFCO, of which every state regulator is a party of, is a baseline for labeling regs, every state can go above and beyond.

Larger companies that do their due-diligence won't sell any feed that doesn't comply. You won't be able to export either.

I used to have an elegance when I had my 100 gallon running. I fed it silversides. I read a few places here and there that suggested silversides are more or less "risky" to feed certain corals, elegance and anemones, to name two. Just so happens that is what I also have. Anyway long story short I stopped feeding silversides and just hit the butcher up for shrimp, prawns, and everything was good thereafter. I would also rotate in a cube of brine or mysis shrimp. All in all feeding is a good thing with Elegances.

Another thing I noticed is that it liked my sand bed and dirtier water conditions. A coral after my own heart (lazy reefer, what can I say).

Back